Discussion Board

Hybrid View

SVG Converter (Beta)

SVG Converter is a desktop application that converts SVG images to SVG Tiny format. SVGT images are suitable for use in mobile applications and content. In addition, the tool provides the option to export images to PNG format, which can be useful for exporting icons for use in media such as web pages. A graphical user interface and a command line interface are provided. Installation packages are available for Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS, and Ubuntu (Linux).

Download SVG Converter »
    Read the user guide »

Please use this thread for any feedback.

Regular Contributor

Re: SVG Converter (Beta)

So, how many years it took for Nokia to finally come with a tool for icons conversion?
    This should have been released at the same time when everyone was forced to start using SVG-T format.
    Now Symbian is being abandoned and this tool will be obsolete soon
    "I only know that I know nothing." (Socrates)

Nokia Developer Champion

Still user require 3rd party tool to convert images from png/jpg/bmp to SVG format. SVG Converter 0.9.5 converts SVG images to SVG Tiny images only. We (developer) still expect a tool that convert images ( png/jpg/bmp) directly to SVG Tiny.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rihoe View Post
    So, how many years it took for Nokia to finally come with a tool for icons conversion?
    This should have been released at the same time when everyone was forced to start using SVG-T format.
    Now Symbian is being abandoned and this tool will be obsolete soon
    Check your Symbian SDKs, the converter was always available as a Java application. An update was needed however, and now you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by savaj View Post
    Still user require 3rd party tool to convert images from png/jpg/bmp to SVG format. SVG Converter 0.9.5 converts SVG images to SVG Tiny images only. We (developer) still expect a tool that convert images ( png/jpg/bmp) directly to SVG Tiny.
    Savaj, there's no such thing as a PNG (raster in general) to SVG converter. Or well, there's no decent one. If you like a challenge, write on yourself, and we'll all be using it gladly. For a developer it may indeed be tricky to create an SVG, but for a graphic designer it should be a piece of cake. Fine one and employ his help.

Oh, btw, I hope you have not missed this great resource as well: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Resou...uidelines.html
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

ltomuta, does Qt require SVG-T or can it also do full SVG?

savaj, there's a big difference between bitmaps and vector graphics. Converting from vector to bitmap is much easier than the other way around. But try out the free Inkscape application, it's quite good for creating SVG graphics.

Now some tool feedback. The installer creates a shortcut on the desktop to "C:\Program Files\SVG Converter\binaries\svg2svgt-gui.exe" but that file doesn't exist. This shortcut is created even if you tell the installer not to create a desktop shortcut. If you do tell it to create one, it creates this broken shortcut as well as the real shortcut.

I'm encountering a problem with the converter. I've designed a SVG icon with Inkscape for my application, the I converted it to the SVN-Tiny format with th SVG Converter 0.9.5 and all is OK. If I open the generated SVG-Tiny icon with any SVG compatible software it is correctly rendered. But if I install the application on my Symbian^3 device, a part of the icon isn't drawed at all!

I think it's a SVG Converter bug as I think that it should output only files that are fully compatible with Symbian, isn't it?

If some Nokia developer contacts me I can provide him the SVG icon I've designed to test it. How can I create a bug ticket to Nokia? Actually my application is ready to be published but I'm missing the icon...

can't able to download the svg converter

it simply says forbidden when the download button is pressed

can't able to download the svg converter

it simply says

"Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /dp on this server."

when the download button is pressed

Works for me. If the problem persists, please use the "Contact and feedback" link at the bottom of this page and report a "website issue" to the webmaster.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Seemed to have been an intermittent problem that affected all downloads from the site - a few minutes ago I could not download - then I could - now I cannot again - I will be contacting the back-end team, hopefully the issue can be resolved shortly.

Thumbs down Re: SVG Converter (Beta) download issues...

Seriously, how hard is it for a company like Nokia to get something as simple as download links to work?!

I had to source Carbide.ui from another website, and now the SVG > SVGT download doesn't work!

Very very poor website experience so far.

*edit*

http://projects.developer.nokia.com/svg2svgt
    Last edited by NEW_NOK_DEV; 2012-01-10 at 01:00. Reason: Found a working link!

Re: SVG Converter (Beta) download issues...

The download works from me just fine, so next time you have some problems you may want to verify if the problem is on your side. Constructive feedback about the web site can be provided to the webmaster team via the "Contact and feedback" link that can be found at the bottom of each page.
    -- Lucian

thanks for this reply