Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nokia Developer Expert

Re: When will standard C/C++ be supported...

Good point I can't argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Ok, Microsoft in general is pretty good at backwards compatibility, I agree with that. However this discussion would not exist if WP7 would be compatible with any of its predecessors.
    Well most of MS's breaking changes are for the best - see ie, xbox or .net 1.1. Ofcourse it impacts us as in the end as we're the ones using the stuff and to be honest the stuff in wp7 is quite good. Yes, you can't do some things and I'll believe that you will be able - looking on how much more they've exposed in Mango, but I still pretty confident that it's not going to be c++ or java or python... It's going to be more stuff wrapped in .net api's - like XNA and from this standpoint I think the the shift to managed code is inevitable and the faster you switch to it - the better for you.

No offense, but if you don't know whether or when native code will be supported in Windows Phone, why say "never"?
    I personally think that they need more time to enable native development because giving devs more power can lead to more risks (malware, security, etc.). Look at the recent embracement of native code, i.e. C++0x or C++AMP at MSFT (http://channel9.msdn.com/Tags/c++0x) and tell me Native is dead
    Even Windows Phone 7 is done in C/C++. All first party apps are written in Silverlight/C++ (not C#): http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Check...orm-in-C-and-C.

Quote Originally Posted by miechu View Post
    Good point I can't argue with that.

Well most of MS's breaking changes are for the best - see ie, xbox or .net 1.1. Ofcourse it impacts us as in the end as we're the ones using the stuff and to be honest the stuff in wp7 is quite good. Yes, you can't do some things and I'll believe that you will be able - looking on how much more they've exposed in Mango, but I still pretty confident that it's not going to be c++ or java or python... It's going to be more stuff wrapped in .net api's - like XNA and from this standpoint I think the the shift to managed code is inevitable and the faster you switch to it - the better for you.
    Last edited by mithril87; 2011-07-10 at 22:02. Reason: added links

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mithril87 View Post
    No offense, but if you don't know whether or when native code will be supported in Windows Phone, why say "never"?
    You might be true, that I've jumped the gun a bit and I might be wrong. But to answer your question - it's just what I see what they are focusing on. Their main target (with wp7) is to please users, not developers. If you think about it - there is no sense in making those background workers, using isolated storage, etc. and then give it all up for the c++ crowd - that just doesn't make _any_ sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mithril87 View Post
    I personally think that they need more time to enable native development because giving devs more power can lead to more risks (malware, security, etc.). Look at the recent embracement of native code, i.e. C++0x or C++AMP at MSFT (http://channel9.msdn.com/Tags/c++0x) and tell me Native is dead
    Even Windows Phone 7 is done in C/C++. All first party apps are written in Silverlight/C++ (not C#): http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Check...orm-in-C-and-C.
    Well first party is first party. Apple also does things on iPhone that 3rd parties can't touch - like playing music in background. // Yes I know that you can do it now

Native is not dead and will never be - just like COBOL will never be dead. But for a business line of applications I think you should move forward and apply managed code to your products - at least on the wp7 side... if you won't do it - somebody will and by the time c++ will be adopted you might go out of business in the meantime. Of course there are two problems with that: 1. if your product REALLY needs native (like communication with some bizarre device) then you're out of luck (2. you will take the initial hit just in terms of time.