Discussion Board

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Symbian Signed renewal

Stay tuned, we will get you details soon!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lithgow View Post
    Nothing explicitly suggested that, but there are clearly major changes to the infrastructure, so I was hopeful that common sense had prevailed.
    Apparently #12 suggest that now.
    Compared to UIQ 3, Nokia's insistence on every app being signed and preventing easy access to developer certs without paying US$200 per year for a Publisher Id is a real barrier for casual developers, you know. And, since UIQ 3 seemed to be accepted by operators, it's not a restriction that can be blamed on them -- I'm not really sure why Nokia enforces such a restrictive practice on devices.
    Are you sure about that UIQ3 thing? I have no experience with it, but it was based on Symbian OS 9.1, with its platform security included. Symbian was not Nokia that time.

Hey,
    I ve got 1 account for normal signing on symbiansigned.com
    and another one on nokia.symbiansigned.com for signing apps with allfiles capability.

Should both account be merged ?
    How to perform it ?

Thanks in advance,
    Nuker85

I guess #16 is for you

Quote Originally Posted by rippe View Post
    If "13" capabilities and maximum of 10IMEIs is enough, then you do not need a Publisher ID to get a development certificate. The system will create a key and cer for you.
    This is like the old dev cert that could be created without a Publisher Id, right? It wasn't working in the latest versions of the cert request tool.

This is useful, thanks. I also appreciate your feedback on other efforts to get cheaper authentication.

Regards,
    Malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Are you sure about that UIQ3 thing? I have no experience with it, but it was based on Symbian OS 9.1, with its platform security included. Symbian was not Nokia that time.
    Yes, I'm positive -- an unsigned app would generate requests for the user to allow it access to the required capabilities, although only the lesser capabilities could be used unsigned. UIQ 3 was a much easier system to develop for than S60 (it was still not easy -- it was Symbian after all), and this was just one of many things that made it so. I have never really understood S60's aggressive lock-down, although it must be said that I believe some operators did ship UIQ 3 devices configured in the same way.

Anyway, sounds like the new iteration of Symbian Signed will be a bit better, which is good news.

Thanks,
    Malcolm.

This is like the old dev cert that could be created without a Publisher Id, right? It wasn't working in the latest versions of the cert request tool.

This is useful, thanks. I also appreciate your feedback on other efforts to get cheaper authentication.
    Remember that it is a 'coming soon' thing. It is normal that the current tool do not support something which was revoked years ago. The new feature might be completely on-line for example, without extra tools. #16 applies anyway.

Yes, I'm positive -- an unsigned app would generate requests for the user to allow it access to the required capabilities, although only the lesser capabilities could be used unsigned.
    User-grantable capabilities exist on S60 / Symbian^3 too (Read/WriteUserData, Local/NetworkServices, UserEnvironment, and Location starting from S60 3rd FP2). User gets asked about them in case of self-signed applications.
    It is a different thing that self-signed applications can not be distributed via the Ovi Store. But it is somehow normal, especially since Ovi arranges the signing for free, and this way users do not face warnings about untrusted applications.

Which is the validity of the DeveloperCertificate in the New Symbian Signed? Still 3 years?

Are the new DevCert really associated the UIDs also, as written at the link below?
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...Symbian_Signed
    "To request new development certificate, you must request for UIDs of your applications first, if not it does not allow you to request for development certificate, because in the new portal, development certificate associated with application UIDs also."

Because I just made a test, but the restrictions on the UIDs were not applied:
    - downloaded the new DevCert (Valid from: 21/06/2011 Issued by:Ixonos Developer CA)
    - downloaded X-Plorer http://www.lonelycatgames.com/downlo..._3rd_1_53.sisx
    - usigned it, and signed using my own DevCert.
    - successfully installed on the device without any problems...

So, it seems to me that the DevCert is not associated to the UIDs...
    Can someone provide some clarifications?

EDIT:
    I noticed that the DevCert contains the UIDs list, but apparently, the installer ignores that field... (OID = 1.2.826.0.1.1796587.1.1.1.4)
    (Tested on N8 fw14)
    Last edited by ilsocio; 2011-06-21 at 21:53.
    http://www.guardian-mobile.com/

X-Plorer has an unprotected UID (0xA000BCD), such ownership requirement more likely applies to UID-s from the protected range.

Quote Originally Posted by pavarang View Post
    Which is the validity of the DeveloperCertificate in the New Symbian Signed? Still 3 years?
    Ilsocio could tell I think.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    X-Plorer has an unprotected UID (0xA000BCD), such ownership requirement more likely applies to UID-s from the protected range.
    That's the reason! thanks! I was supposing that X-Plorer had a protected UID...
    I tried again on another app with a protected UID and restrictions were successfully applied.

About the validity period of the DevCert, I just checked and it is still 3 years...
    http://www.guardian-mobile.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rippe View Post
    1-4. We will be back
    5. Unverified account will get "13" capabilities (not NetworkControl, MultimediaDD, CommDD, DiskAdmin, AllFiles, DRM or TCB). Verified account will get all except AllFiles, DRM or TCB.
    6. Ovi Store has the possibility to test your applications and signing them. So you can use their option.
    Hi,
    When i verifying account, i got "Alert: We are having problems, please try after some time", what this means?
    and how to get All-Tcb capabilities DevCerts?

Thanks

Hi,
    Is there any way to disconnect the account with the wrong publisherID?

Thanks
    Last edited by Melody Smiles; 2011-06-22 at 04:47.