Discussion Board

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question N950 avaialbility?

Nokia N9 page at Nokia Developer says the following:

Nokia N9 Devkit

To aid the speedy development of apps for the Nokia N9 smartphone, Nokia has produced a limited number of developer phones, the Nokia N950 phone. This phone isn't available for purchase and can only be obtained through selected developer programs, such as Nokia Developer LaunchPad.
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/MeeGo/

Does it mean it'll be sold for developers through those programs, loaned or etc? And what is the criteria for getting the N950 device? It's not clear from the brief note on that page.

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: N950 avaialbility?

AFAIK there are no public announcements on how the limited amounts of devices are going to be distributed, though I would consider that they are not sold, thus if you want to buy a device, go for N9 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    AFAIK there are no public announcements on how the limited amounts of devices are going to be distributed, though I would consider that they are not sold, thus if you want to buy a device, go for N9 instead.
    How can I get this n950 phone?
    There is no chance that I'll buy a phone without a hardware keyboard.
    On this issue concerned how to get or how to buy a n950.

Nokia Developer Expert

I still can not find any public announcement on the device distribution, thus you would need to wait for that. before it, it is pointless to speculate on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    I still can not find any public announcement on the device distribution, thus you would need to wait for that. before it, it is pointless to speculate on anything.
    Okay, but if you say that it is a model for developers, then it will be no announcement, we can wait forever.
    We await the announcement of what exactly? N9 already announced, the model for the developer separately will not announced?
    Nevertheless, all the many people here on the local forum are interested in buying only a model with a hardware keyboard.

Nokia Developer Expert

What I say here is that, there are processes, involving people and organizations, that are tasked to make information known to wider public, and any information that is not made public, is not public. And thus you would not find that information in public forums etc. I have no knowledge on your background, but in real world that how things works, thus, nobody here can give you any craditable information unless the information is made public, so repeating questions on issues that involve information that is not available on public, will not give you any answers.

thus I would need to repeat the #5.

Nokia Developer Moderator

This is the Meego community channel, which loans devices for worthy open source projects. Nokia's developer channel mentioned below is a separate thing. So far as Symbianyucca pointed out, there are no details about terms of getting the device through the Nokia dev programs. If you want to go with the device loan, and work on a fitting open source project, then Meego community device program worth a try of course.

only information is: "can only be obtained through selected developer programs, such as Nokia Developer LaunchPad."

And then I come here because I want program some synthesizer-editor program for it. I am ready for pay for N950, because I want program with long time, I don't want anybody asking when it's ready.

So where I get information how to get Nokia N950?

SDK-s usually have emulators, so you can start coding right now. Since a dedicated N9/50 SDK has not been announced/released, you would use the generic SDK anyway, even if the device would be available immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    Nokia N9 page at Nokia Developer says the following:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/MeeGo/

Does it mean it'll be sold for developers through those programs, loaned or etc? And what is the criteria for getting the N950 device? It's not clear from the brief note on that page.

Thanks.
    I too want to know about this. I would like to use it both as my phone and for development. If it isn't available for sale then I have the decision of buying the E7 which is the hardware I want minus the OS or do I purchase the N9 which is the OS I want but missing the QWERTY keyboard which is a big thing for me.

Nokia Developer Champion

I'll look into this. I'll reply in this thread as soon as I have the details at hand.

Hartti

hello everybody
    Last edited by trevormacro; 2011-09-28 at 19:34.

"Announced" and "available" are two different stages in the lifecycle of a device. It has been announced yesterday, and no one has such device yet. It will be months before it becomes available.

Also please note that private messaging the same message to individual developers wont get you one either (In response to the pm that I got, inspite of me not really being involved in this thread discussion!!)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast