Discussion Board

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Re: N950 avaialbility?

I just received a Nokia Developer Newsletter, which contains this piece of information:

"How to request the Nokia N950 developer kit
    To help prepare for the publishing of apps for the Nokia N9, a limited number of developer kits have been produced using the Nokia N950. This phone has a pre-release version of software for the Nokia N9 and some minor hardware differences (e.¬g. the Nokia N950 doesn’t have NFC). The Nokia N950 Developer Kit is available to qualifying Nokia Developer Launchpad members who have published apps to Ovi Store, or have started to develop their apps using Qt. If you wish to obtain one of these kits, please send your request to: nokia dot developer dot launchpad at nokia dot com.

The deadline for submitting requests is 31 July 2011."

Hartti

Thanks Hartti, that's something for the start. Still would be good to know on what terms those devices will be distributed (purchase, loan etc.). I.e if it's loan - I'd rather just use the community program for open source development. But if it's purchase - it worth to apply here to get your own device.

The newsletter left two questions unanswered:

1. Why is N950 a development device? I understand the differences to N9 (keyboard, lack of NFC and so on). But what makes N950 suitable for development? Does it have more RAM? Does it have JTAG connectors on the back side? Is it running a specially crafted firmware that will help developers catch more bugs? Seriously, why is N950 a "development device"??

2. As shmerl said in the previous post: can we purchase N950 or are they for loan only? I don't know about you guys, but I want to own my development devices.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
    Thanks Hartti, that's something for the start. Still would be good to know on what terms those devices will be distributed (purchase, loan etc.). I.e if it's loan - I'd rather just use the community program for open source development. But if it's purchase - it worth to apply here to get your own device.
    shmerl, use the community program if you are already active and known in the community. There's only one batch of devices, out of which Nokia Developer has a quota for active Nokia Developer programs members. There is no difference in the terms and conditions under which the devices are made available, the only difference between applying for it here or there is the fact that you stand better chances to access the device there where you are known and recognized as an active contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by tube42 View Post
    The newsletter left two questions unanswered:

1. Why is N950 a development device? I understand the differences to N9 (keyboard, lack of NFC and so on). But what makes N950 suitable for development? Does it have more RAM? Does it have JTAG connectors on the back side? Is it running a specially crafted firmware that will help developers catch more bugs? Seriously, why is N950 a "development device"??
    Why? Because that's what Nokia decided to do with that piece of hardware it had in its hands: not produce it for commercial distribution but instead use the available limited set as a tool for helping developers create more applications.

Quote Originally Posted by tube42 View Post
    2. As shmerl said in the previous post: can we purchase N950 or are they for loan only? I don't know about you guys, but I want to own my development devices.
    No, you cannot purchase it.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

I'm from Egypt and you want to apply for the Nokia N950 Can any of you to send me a link do I apply for which I am working on making applications based on NFC in their work and this device will help me a lot in the dissemination of more programmatic platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by bintk View Post
    I'm from Egypt and you want to apply for the Nokia N950 Can any of you to send me a link do I apply for which I am working on making applications based on NFC in their work and this device will help me a lot in the dissemination of more programmatic platforms.
    AFAIK, N950 does not support NFC, thats one of the difference between N9 and its developer edition N950

The N950 has "release notes", it describes the differences: https://www.developer.nokia.com/info...ase_Notes.html
    Lack of NFC support is indeed one of them.

Super Contributor

Hi wizard,

I agree with your notes and your observations are correct. The evaluation is a throughout process and it does not equal to approval before it's finished.

Best,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Am already member of launchpad and ovi store publisher and have applied for nokia n950 dev kit
    wanted to know if kit is going to be sold or loaned?

also wanted to know if anybody got any kind of email regarding n950 kit ?
    thanks in advance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bhairavpardiwala View Post
    Am already member of launchpad and ovi store publisher and have applied for nokia n950 dev kit
    Consider reading #34.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Consider reading #34.
    Did read but still does not does not answer question properly instead it doges the question !!!
    had found this video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA8_4...layer_embedded
    at my nokiablog on which they quoted tat they are going to give it free to developers !!!
    however had also found on twitter a person twitting about some pdf in qt.nokia.com about n950 loan for developers
    Got confused between the two !!!
    Thanks again !!!

Free+loan = free loan. The only thing you pay for is the fee when posting it back.

Smile Re: N950 avaialbility?

Thanks
    hmm will try and make sure for meego to be posted with apps !!!

Regular Contributor

I am wondering if any of you can go further this url :
    https://forumnokia.secure.force.com/DDP

I mean ordered of get the devkit through LP ?

maybe we'll have to wait end of month...

--
    http://rzr.online.fr/q/meego
    http://rzr.online.fr/q/redak# redak : #FreE #TexT #EditoR : #Qt #QmL ported to #SymbiaN #BellE (#E7) and !n950club #n9 #MeeGo, test
    http://elinux.org/Mobile# Efforts to share a common base for GNU/Linux mobile communities ...
    http://go.cur.lv/files# files to be shared or email me

Quote Originally Posted by bhairavpardiwala View Post

also wanted to know if anybody got any kind of email regarding n950 kit ?
    thanks in advance!!!
    Hi, I have same situation, I am individual member of launchpad and ovi store publisher and published item for N900 and Symbian and want to verify my item also for N9 to publish it also for it. I have emailed two times to "nokia dot developer dot launchpad at nokia dot com" but not got any mail back. The deadline for submitting requests is 31 July 2011, so it is quite hurry to get request registered or if it is registered already, know that I am getting my N950 for free loan.

As developer I have notised, that emulator can be good in start of the project, but at leat if you have some kind if networking, IAP settings, audio etc. more complivated than just screen in your app, you really need real device to verify application and OVI knows this, you cant publish your N9 application without verifying it with N9/N950, so for me it is MUST to get device, without it I can't publish my app.

Has anyone who has made request got reply from "nokia dot developer dot launchpad at nokia dot com"? Should I be worried? There are only few days left for deadline.