Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How to pause app when suspended in the background?

My app failed QA test due to the following reason:

ACTUAL RESULT: The application's status cannot be paused, when the application is suspedned in background.
    EXPECTED RESULT: When suspending the application in the background, the application's status can be paused.
    How can I "freeze" the app automatically when it is suspended in the background?

My previous apps were approved even without this feature. I don't know why this time they failed my recent app. Is this rule new? Or was it always there?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to pause app when suspended in the background?

appears that wiki has some problems, anyway a page titled: TSQ001585 - Detecting focus lost & gained events in Qt for Symbian would basically give you a way for detecting when the application goes to background, and when it comes back.

Regular Contributor

Actually, I already searched wiki and whenever I clicked links from the results, it just redirects me back to http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Wiki_Home. I already switched to different browsers, but still the same. I just thought the links are dead already. But coming from you, then maybe it's not just my computer.

But now, after searching TSQ001585 - Detecting focus lost & gained events in Qt for Symbian, I can see the thread from the search results but clicking it still gives me the same problem I encountered earlier(redirecting to Wiki_Home). Do you have a copy of that wiki page? I kinda need it now.

Thank you.

I would not have copies of any wiki page, anyway, I'm sure they are working on teh problems and the problems should be fixed as soon as possible.

Regular Contributor

I was able to see the link now.

How should I pause the app when suspended? Currently, the app will stay at the latest screen when switching to other apps/windows. For the screens with static display(no movements and visible changes), in a sense that's already in pause mode. I think the only issue is the screen where there is a timer ticking. It is still running and updated even when the app is in the background. If this is the screen that needs to be paused, is it enough to just pause the timer once a suspension is detected, and just continue when a button(play maybe) is pressed? But in a sense, everything is still running. It's like a bluff pause. If not, is there a function to completely freeze the app?

basically it is upto your own logic to determine which tasks should be suspended when the application is not focused. AFAIK There is no ways really to make it do that automatically, thus you need to do it by yourself.

Regular Contributor

The only thing that's dynamic in my app is the Timer ticking and it's only in one screen(the "play" screen). So I believe that's the only screen I need the "pause".

I was able to detect when the app gains/loses focus and was able to add the handler to freeze and unfreeze the timer. It's all working now. Thanks to the link! All I need to do now is to make the "pause" layer to pop-up when the app gains focus.

Thank you for the help!