Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Former Open Signed Online method...

Hello

Till now, I've published my Symbian application on my website. Every users could download and sign the according SIS-file by using the Open Signed Online method on the SymbianSigned website.

Since the introduction of the new SymbianSigned web GUI the Open Signed Online service isn't available any more. What can an ordinary user of my application do to get the SIS-file signed anyway? I think, using a developer certification doesn't work, correct? Please help!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Former Open Signed Online method...

Your method of publishing applications was against Symbian Signed's terms of service, and this was discussed already several times during the years.
    With the current approach only registered Symbian Signed users can sign applications and only for the UIDs they have allocated for their projects.

You can of course still publish your applications but they would have to be properly signed (and if needed certified) before the release. Your options are:
    • self-signed applications (free, untrusted)
    • Express Signed applications
      • through Ovi Publish (free, distribution through Ovi Store)
      • through Symbian Signed (PublisherID required, your choice of distribution channel, including Ovi Store)
    • Certified Signed applications (PublisherID & test house testing required, your choice of distribution channel, including Ovi Store)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

If your application is free, why do not you publish it via Ovi Store? Although there is a registration fee, it is 1 EUR for a long time.

Regular Contributor

@Itomuta: The application has a correctly allocated UID. But SymbianSigned writes that the UID is combined with the developer certificate. As far as I understand that it means that the UID should be available in each account. Otherwise the user won't be able to sign it by using self-signing. Isn't that true?

@wizard_hu: I think the best solution would be to publish the application via Ovi Store.

Yes, that is true. In order to be able to sign the app you must own the UID it uses. But the point is that the user never signs anything, only the developer does. And the developer signs only his own apps, for which he owns the UIDs. Therefore all is fine.

And yes, Ovi Store is the best option for pulishing apps.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Super Contributor

Hmph,

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Yes, that is true. In order to be able to sign the app you must own the UID it uses. But the point is that the user never signs anything, only the developer does. And the developer signs only his own apps, for which he owns the UIDs. Therefore all is fine.

And yes, Ovi Store is the best option for pulishing apps.
    Was looking for something else and found this... so all my beautiful PyS60 apps are now officially and totally installable as SIS packages? So how would I release (pys60 or pySide) freeware as a single non-company person?

Wondering,

--jouni who actually does have a company now - to release iPhone apps, but currently working on Symbian C++ and getting weird ideas about releasing more apps elsewhere...
    Last edited by JOM; 2011-12-09 at 10:34. Reason: uninstable --> installable

I see two options:
    - As self-signed with 0xA range UID, if the capabilities are in the supported range.
    - As an Open Source project, with 0xE range UID, which can be compiled by interested developers which then use their own UIDs and devcerts. One of them may actually decide to sponsor the commercial release and put it through the Symbian Signed certification process.
    -- Lucian