Discussion Board

Using DevCert to sign app with protected UID + some capability

Hi,

I've searched this issue in the forum and could not find any satisfy answers to the problem.

I've developed an app which was successfully tested and installed on the phone using unprotected UID and signed with my devcert.

Now I want to release it to Ovi store, so I did the final version by changing the app to use Nokia protected UID. Building and signing using my devcert was OK, but when I tried to install it on the phone I got this error "Unable to install a protected application from an untrusted application supplier".

This error did not happen to my other app which does not require any capability. The one that failed to install requires UserEnvironment capability.

Is this a known limitation of devcert? How do we ensure that our apps are OK before submitting them to Ovi store and request for Nokia express signing?

Cheers,
    iwanj

Re: Using DevCert to sign app with protected UID + some capability

Hi,

When I received my UIDs and key-pair, I also recieved a "xxxx_OviPublishCert_06.07.2011.sis" file.
    Installed this on your phone.
    This will update you local certificate provisioner database, adding your supplier details.

Succes,

Gerko

Nokia Developer Moderator

UserEnvironment is a capability which works even with self-signing, that can not be the problem. I think your application is still self-signed, check that signing part again.

Yes, I did install that R&D cert on the phone. As I mentioned in my post, I have two apps, one does not use any capability, other requires UserEnvironment. Both are signed with devcert, the first one installed without any problem, the second one failed.

Yes, self signing works even with UserEnvironment, otherwise I wouldn't be able to test my app on the phone
    The problem is, once I changed my app to use protected UID provided by Nokia and then sign the installer using devcert (for final check before I submit it to Ovi store), it failed to install.
    I saw some post which seems similar to my problem (can't find the link now), the post explain the step like this
    -build app with unprotected UID and sign with devcert
    -obtain publisher certificate
    -build app with protected UID and sign with publisher certificate

The problem is, I don't have publisher certificate and expect Nokia to sign it via Nokia express signing.

It seems the combination of these 3 that causing the problem: protected UID + some capability + devcert. Can someone confirm from experience if those combination works?
    Last edited by iwanj; 2011-06-27 at 15:59.

This issue is now solved. I made a mistake by not updating private path in PKG file to use new protected UID.
    Apologies for wasting everyone's time.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Those steps seem to be "kind of" Symbian Signed stuff (with some added confusion). However when you have a devcert, you can use protected UID-s and higher-level capabilities. That is exactly why devcerts are invented, they allow applications to behave as fully trusted one, but on your devices only. This is true for both Symbian Signed stuff, and the Ovi Publisher program.

The PublisherID thing is strictly Symbian Signed stuff, and it is about sending the application to be signed for distribution to Symbian Signed. PublisherID is a certificate which can be bought from TC TrustCenter, and available only to firms (individuals are not accepted), and costs 200 USD, while valid for a single year. The Ovi Publisher program is exactly about publishing application without having this PublisherID stuff, which is both expensive and unavailable to many developers.

protected UID + capabilites + devcert is expected to work.
    Command signsis -o your.sisx can list the certificates for you from a given .sis/x file. You could check its output.

EDIT: I see it was a totally different issue, anyway, it is solved now