Discussion Board

Thread: ovimap api

ovimap api

I would like to know wrt will support ovi map api if any one knows please help

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: ovimap api

if you mean that Javascript API, then the answer is No, it is not designed to be used with WRT, and if you are asking about the Maps rendering API, then Yes, you can use that with WRT widgets.

Super Contributor

Hi,

I can verify what Jukka said, basically the question is merely related to the support of the mobile web browser.

The Ovi Maps API full JavaScript implementation depends heavily on that. To be on the safe side at the moment, the option of using the Ovi Maps Rendering API would be best solution for you. If you are interested on Ovi Maps API development, we currently have a project for it, as well as for the Maps Rendering API. You would be best off to ask questions under the project discussions.

What you would get with the Maps Rendering API is map tiles in format of an image sent back to you by issued request. It's a RESTful API with many options. The returned image should be optimized for your device and screen resolution automatically. It's also the most generous one related to resources used. Therefore you can extend this API actually thru the cavalcade of available devices at the moment, where as the JavaScript full blown API is merely optimized for desktops/notebooks/tablet devices.

Best,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Nokia Developer Expert

on top of that, you of course would get best solutions be using more native APIs, there are Qt C++ APIs as well as QML APIs that are designed to work in mobiles. Wiki also would have examples to get you started: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._Maps_Examples

Super Contributor

Hi symbianyucca,

Indeed this was a very important addition. The location offering we currently present spreads across the whole spectrum of development tools and languages.

Best,
    Marko
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330

Hi,
    Is it possible to have Ovi Map Rendering API display the correct route between two points if we provide only the start and end locations only? As per the online documentation, we have to provide several point coordinates along the route, otherwise it will just display a direct line between start and end points.
    Last edited by suryasraj; 2011-07-04 at 17:02.

Super Contributor

Hello suryasraj,

The route for the Rendering API basically means it has the capability to display or "draw" portions of a route that you already calculated. You could for example use it to print an illustrated maneuver list of a route (stamp sized maps next to each maneuver displaying the actual turn).

Best,
    Marko
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330