Discussion Board

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Enter the Create for Millions contest

I tried accessing the site : http://www.developer.nokia.com/create4millions/
    where it mentioned about using MAPS/Location API via a hyperlink : https://projects.developer.nokia.com/LBSPJME/wiki
    The link does not work. Can you please provide the correct link for the Java ME Location API - LBPSJME (this link is apparently referred to from various other places in Wiki such as : http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...E_Location_API)

Since I am planning on create a location based app, this information is something that would be needed to proceed. Thanks in Advance.

Super Contributor

Hi MoDev, Welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!!

Please try this URL https://projects.developer.nokia.com/LBSPJME I guess you need to Request access in this URLby clicking the "Request Access" button.

Regards
    Gopal

I've just got an e-mail from Nokia Developer saying the deadline for the Create4Millions contest was extended, but the official contest page still shows september 20th as the deadline.

Can you confirm ?

Thank you.
    -CarlosDL

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by cadlg View Post
    I've just got an e-mail from Nokia Developer saying the deadline for the Create4Millions contest was extended, but the official contest page still shows september 20th as the deadline.

Can you confirm ?

Thank you.
    I got call from Nokia India and its still saying the deadline of this contest is 20 Sept.

Can anybody please clarify this?

What is the final date for deadline of this contest?

Chintan.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team
    World's Greatest Speeches for Windows Phone is now available on WP Marketplace.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by cadlg View Post

Can you confirm ?

Thank you.
    @Cadlg: yes. the deadline date is now 1 November.Contest Site will be updated later after some days.

Enter today using the link below, and note that the deadline for entries has been extended to 1 November 2011.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team
    World's Greatest Speeches for Windows Phone is now available on WP Marketplace.

It is now the second time that someone from Nokia phoned us to ask us why we are not entering Create 4 Millions - they obviously don't understand that Java and Flash Lite apps are not the same.... pity.

Hi,

Could someone from Nokia clarify the below:

I noticed that in the create4millions contest page, it is mentioned that Java or Web apps can be submitted for all the categories except under the "In the Know" category where it says "- we're seeking your Series 40 web apps focusing on news and location-based information." .Does this mean native java apps cannot be submitted under "In the Know" category ?

Also earlier it was mentioned that under special Java prize will be based on "best use of Maps/Location API" and now it has changed to "best use of Location API".
    Are both the same and if not what is the difference ?

Please clarify.
    Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hey there - sorry if the call did not come across the right way. We do want to make sure all who might be interested in the contest have the chance to enter! Keep up the great work that your team is doing w/ Flash Lite! - Jason
    Jason Black provides editorial services for Nokia Developer. Always open to new ideas.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MoDev View Post
    Hi,

Could someone from Nokia clarify the below:

I noticed that in the create4millions contest page, it is mentioned that Java or Web apps can be submitted for all the categories except under the "In the Know" category where it says "- we're seeking your Series 40 web apps focusing on news and location-based information." .Does this mean native java apps cannot be submitted under "In the Know" category ?

Also earlier it was mentioned that under special Java prize will be based on "best use of Maps/Location API" and now it has changed to "best use of Location API".
    Are both the same and if not what is the difference ?

Please clarify.
    Thanks.
    @MoDev - sorry for the delayed reply ... First, the "In the Know" category is focusing on web apps as the priority - but if you have Java apps, that fit the category, do submit them!

Also, the special Java prize was reworded to make it clear that the use of the Location API is the priority for this prize - it would likely have a "maps" component by its use of this API, I expect.

OK? And good luck with the contest! - Jason
    Jason Black provides editorial services for Nokia Developer. Always open to new ideas.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JasonBlack View Post
    Hey there - sorry if the call did not come across the right way. We do want to make sure all who might be interested in the contest have the chance to enter! Keep up the great work that your team is doing w/ Flash Lite! - Jason
    Are there any chances for Nokia to allow FlashLite apps for this contest?

Re: 'Create for Millions' contest

Given that Nokia feature phones are in such high usage and any app that is worth developing for these kind of phones should really be worth for, I guess Nokia should seriously change the top prize amount in each category to 100K euros atleast and also for the three special prizes to 50K euros atleast.
    Nokia should also have top 3 "overall prize" across all categories just like other contests with a top prize of 500K euros. This will certainly be worth particularly for apps that use Location/Maps API's where Nokia has invested a lot.

I am sure this would also be in the interest of the developer community developing useful and well thought out and designed apps for the prize money involved instead of Nokia throwing away 50K euros prizes to apps that are not of good quality. The increase in prize amount as stated will certainly increase the competition and hence the quality of the submitted apps.

Matis

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by maen View Post
    Given that Nokia feature phones are in such high usage
    I guess Nokia should seriously change the top prize amount
    There is an other possible reading: where the market is large, the prize is really just a bonus for an already successful application with many customers.

I agree Hu with your views.

But, I noticed the top prize in each category started at 75000 euros and has come down to 50000 euros now which kind of surprised me as I have noticed across many contests that the prize money would normally be increased to make it more exciting and increase awareness and participation and based on so many other successful contests, as a contest , for participation it would feel great if there is an overall big prize as well. This coming from a common developer standpoint. We have some great ideas for Web apps [ as well as Java apps ] but we are still undecided whether me and my team members should participate though we are very keen. In terms of being worthwhile, for us it has become a dilemma of developing mobile apps for feature based versus smartphone base. Having said that, Nokia is doing a great job of holding these contests and inducing participation from the developer community to develop apps.

Regular Contributor

Hello,

it has come to my attention recently that it could take a few weeks for an application to make it through the QA stage and finally get listed n Ovi Store. My app is not ready yet, so if it has to be listed in Ovi Store by Nov 2nd, I should be better off investing my time in other goals. So, is it for us to submit our content by Nov 2nd or is it for the content to be available for downloading on Nov 2nd ?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kellogs View Post
    Hello,

it has come to my attention recently that it could take a few weeks for an application to make it through the QA stage and finally get listed n Ovi Store. My app is not ready yet, so if it has to be listed in Ovi Store by Nov 2nd, I should be better off investing my time in other goals. So, is it for us to submit our content by Nov 2nd or is it for the content to be available for downloading on Nov 2nd ?

Thank you
    I have no doubt about this a few days ago. As was the case with the Calling All Innovators 10M contest, I was sure that the deadline was for submitting the app to QA and to the contest before the deadline, but I got an e-mail today that reads:

"If you have a new mobile app for Nokia Series 40 phones – or if you are updating an existing app – that will be published to Nokia Store in time..."

So, could someone from Nokia clarify if applications need to be publicly available in Ovi Store before the deadline in order to be eligible to participate ? If that is the case, then all of us who are still working on the final details before submitting our apps, are already out, which would be very bad since this was never clearly stated, and one would expect that, unless otherwise stated, things would be similar from one contest to another.

Can we get an official answer for this, please ?
    -CarlosDL