Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NOKIA N950

Regular Contributor

Exclamation NOKIA N950

Just today I have big pleasure to play few hours with Nokia N950 phone. It is just great amazing beautiful nice bloody perfect device!!! Elop, DON'T KILL THIS BABY!!! Sign those crazy stupid contracts with microsft, produce any funny stupid microsoft phones, but DON'T KILL N950 and N9 and MeeGo!!! Any one from Nokia employees, please, forward this message to this busy wise guy, please!!!

Re: NOKIA N950

Yeah I would rather the N950 be produced. There are a large number of people that prefer a physical keyboard. Why a manufacturer would ignore such a large portion of its customers is beyond me. Do physical keyboards really cost that much more to produce?

Nokia Developer Champion

I like N950, its a good device to have !
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Regular Contributor

guys, do you know if it is still possible to apply to some programm to get one of this phones? I badly need one.
    How many units nokia plans to produce and distirbute? Is there plans to produce more depending on demands? The only info I found is that meego community getting only 250! of these great devices. I assume that there are others distro channels.
    My employer applied for one as launchpad member, but no ansver yet, and even if our dept get one, Im not the one to use it.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    thanks for link wizard_hu, but I cannot find there any valuable info about potencial ammount of n950 units and open distor-channels which still accepting applications about dev.kit from developers. I guess this kind of info is nokia confidential?

Super Contributor

No such numbers are available.

There has been three channels to apply for one. MeeGo.com, Nokia Developer Launchpad and Qt Ambassador program. I think all these channels have now been closed.
    The Launchpad applications are currently being sorted out, so people who applied for one through that route have not yet been contacted.

Hartti

Nokia Developer Champion

This link is invalid.
    Regards,

Girish Padia

Yes, the complete feedback board has been re-arranged (practically: disappeared) earlier this week. What have you wanted to read about? The number of available devices was not communicated there either. The only other clue is that the devices are not for purchase but for loan. Both for FN in the past and ND for now there is a free "mini loan" service where you can get a device for 1.5-2 months (depending on the region where you are). According to my understanding, the N950-s are distributed in the same way.

Yes, the complete feedback board has been re-arranged (practically: disappeared) earlier this week. What have you wanted to read about? The number of available devices was not communicated there either. The only other clue is that the devices are not for purchase but for loan. Both for FN in the past and ND for now there is a free "mini loan" service where you can get a device for 1.5-2 months (depending on the region where you are). According to my understanding, the N950-s are distributed in the same way.
    does it mean that all N950s distributed by different chanels will be collected back by Nokia after few months?

Someone who has applied for an N950 could tell more, but yes, this is how the device loan service works. Renewal is possible if there is no waiting list.
    However it is not about "different channels", only about Nokia Developer.

Nokia Developer Champion

My understanding is that they won't ask you to return the device. By "loan", they may mean to say that it is not "sold" which may benefit them from some taxation. You may think is it as a lifetime loan.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Ooops, my greediness failed then (said 'no thanks' last Wednesday).

Nokia Developer Champion

Ooops, my greediness failed then (said 'no thanks' last Wednesday).
    You missed it then. It is good to be greedy. Anyway, you can ask them again and I hope you will get one.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

Nokia Developer Champion

As far I know,
    Qt Ambassador Program : They are distributing to only those Qt Ambassadors who have applied for the N950 device. Also there is a PLA license agreement for that, it was clearly mentioned that Developers who gets the device need to submit application to Ovi store and also at any point of time Nokia may ask to return the N950 device.

MeeGo Community : Here they have mentioned to submit applications to Ovi store and meego app store. But there were not such licensing like the PLA and returning the device.

Launchpad Program : They have a NDA, but that is the regular NDA for Launchpad program. I think if you get any device through LP then you don't need to return it back to Nokia

After all these, these devices are NOT FOR SALE.