Discussion Board

Thumbs down Symbian Signed Online gone

Why did they take down "symbian signed online"?
    That was the only way if painful to test your app with some special capability without having access to a proper dev-cert.

It use to be there:
    https://www.symbiansigned.com/app/pa...ignedOnline.do

Please guys bring it back up again.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Symbian Signed Online gone

Note that you can get a devcert instead. For 10 devices, for the same capability set, without a Publisher ID.
    Deal?

Ok it looks like this is now done through your Symbian Signed account. You can now get a dev-cert without having a Publisher ID.

Just saw your answer wiz.
    Deal

Is the certificate restricted to your app UIDs? The UID of the app I'm trying I got from Nokia publisher rather than from my Symbian Signed account.
    I can't install it on my E90 it says: "Constrained by the certificate". Same on my E7?

Indeed:

"Note! Development Certificates are only for signing the application for testing purposes. You can use them with applications which UID you have in your account and devices which IMEI you have added here."

That's a pain!

Regular Contributor

@lenclud

yes, i agree, really a pain!!

Imagine a new customer who is going to buy a new nokia phone, and realize he could NOT install any application as Nokia decided not to offer 17 capacities to final customers. They will think, better a phone with android, blackberry or iphone.
    Symbian is a death language, and if nokia keeps using this new marketing strategy, they will lost the market also. Really impressive...

Quote Originally Posted by lenclud View Post
    "Note! Development Certificates are only for signing the application for testing purposes. You can use them with applications which UID you have in your account and devices which IMEI you have added here."

That's a pain!
    Other reading: it is an anti-piracy measure.

I do not see the loss, since you are not entitled to sign applications which are not developed by you. If a freeware application requires User+System capabilities, that could be distributed via Ovi Store by its own developer for a single-time 1 EUR registration.

The only part where there is a problem is the case of community-developed (e.g. open source) code. In that case the most straightforward solution is probably that everyone uses his/her own UID for development (UID-s appear in a rather limited set of project files, so it is a manageable situation).

Droopyar: your rants are off-topic here, since the question is about "13-caps signing".

Another issue is with freeware. Before anyone could sign some freeware without having access to the code.
    Now it's not possible anymore so I'll need to publish my freeware on NOKIA store too which possibly is a nice side effect for NOKIA after all although a bit time consuming for the developers...
    Talking specifically about things like:
    http://slion.net/view/Dev/DataTypeRegistry

Also changing UID in an app is not quite straight forward and takes some work.
    So yesterday I had to sort out the process of changing UID easily in my app which involves changing: Resources, Code, PKG, MMP, Binaries file name. It took me at least a couple of hours to get it right and I'm a Symbian veteran...
    I needed to do it cause I wanted to work on an app I published as NOKIA Signed with a NOKIA Signed UID but my NOKIA Signed devcert as expired. (Do they last only 3 months? That's madness too.)
    Last I checked to get a NOKIA Signed devcert you need to send an e-mail to the support and wait for an answer, so nothing automated there...

Overall it's true the new symbian signed process makes it easier for developer. Only problem is with the publication of freeware but that was not ideal before either.

Another issue is with freeware.
    http://slion.net/view/Dev/DataTypeRegistry
    Ok, I am aware of donate/advertisement things. Your own page is still going to be necessary, since the Ovi Store is not the place where users can really find a given application. Also, product support remains on your pages. So it is simply about linking the direct download page in Ovi from your site, and the "installation experience" is expected to be much smoother even with this redirect than the old way with signing the application illegally (yes, it was illegal).
    So yesterday I had to sort out the process of changing UID easily in my app which involves changing: Resources, Code, PKG, MMP, Binaries file name. It took me at least a couple of hours to get it right and I'm a Symbian veteran...
    It has to be configured only once. And open-source people usually love scripting.

Seriosuly? All it takes me is 5 seconds and a fart . I mean fart.exe, http://fart-it.sourceforge.net
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Indeed:

That's a pain!
    No, it's not a pain, it just requires proper project management. Ovi Publish issues developer certificates that can be used for signing the applications for which you use the Ovi Publish issued certificates.
    With the Symbian Signed certificates you can sign project with 0xE UID range or with protected UIDs which have been obtained directly from Symbian Signed.

Quote Originally Posted by droopyar View Post
    @lenclud

yes, i agree, really a pain!!

Imagine a new customer who is going to buy a new nokia phone, and realize he could NOT install any application as Nokia decided not to offer 17 capacities to final customers. They will think, better a phone with android, blackberry or iphone.
    Symbian is a death language, and if nokia keeps using this new marketing strategy, they will lost the market also. Really impressive...
    Consumers are not affected by Symbian Signed and their changes in policies, and that's for a simple reason: they don't know (and need not know) what Symbian Signed is.
    As a developer/publisher you have the free resources made available to you by Symbian Signed (or Ovi Publish) and with them you can develop content rich and complex apps.
    Once the R&D phase completed it is your duty to certify your application before release, either by self-signing or through Symbian Signed (with Ovi Publish as an intermediary if needed/desired). And that application will install on any developer's device.

There is no reason, and it was always against the T&C of Symbian Signed, to release unsigned applications and to expect end-users to sign them. Or if there is a reason, I have not heard yet a valid explanation of it.

I'm open to hear proper arguments against these new Symbian Signed policies. And if you show me that indeed the current Symbian Signed process is impeeding your application development and release work, and if these impediments don't have a reasonable workaround or if they would indeed be solvable on our side, I will personaly advocate for solving these issues.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Seriosuly? All it takes me is 5 seconds and a fart . I mean fart.exe, http://fart-it.sourceforge.net
    Yeah I didn't want to go down the path of the fart :-D
    Now the UIDs are isolated within a single file and I can change it by using a #macro.

Hello there
    Do I have to purchase the development certificate from the trust center, or how is this done? Can you please explain to me how the process of signing for test purposes works please I am very new to development. I am also getting the error "Constrained by the certificate".

Are you a registered Nokia Publish user? If so, Nokia Publish can grant you a developer certificate that covers 13 of the 20 capabilities defined by Symbian's Platform Security. It's free and you don't need a publisher ID from the trust center. See Distribute -> Packaging and signing in this site's menu.

If you are developing compex and deeply integrated applications which require any of the remaining 7 capabilities, then you must follow the Symbian Signed path (reserved for companies only).
    -- Lucian