Discussion Board

Super Contributor

Switching between SDKs

Hello,
    is there any way how to have more SDKs on one computer and easily switch between them?
    I need SDKs for Series 60 and UIQ. When I install the second, the first stop working (of course because different paths, etc...).

thanks

Regular Contributor
    I have Series 60 and Series 80 SDK installed on my machine and both are working fine. You can use the epoc switch to switch between the SDK's. Epoc switch.exe can be found at \Symbian\6.1\Series60\Series60Tools\EpocSwitch.

Ravi

jraluy

Hi!

I´m having the same problem. I just install the SDK for the P800 and can not make to work the 6.1 version...can´t create VC project even!

I´m trying to mess around with the "devices" program, but don´t know if that is the way to go :(

Any help, please ???

Thanks alot in advance!!!

Jraluy

Super Contributor
    Use EpocSwitch...
    \Series60\Series60Tools\EpocSwitch

My settings in EpocSwitch's ini file looks like this:

[Series60]
    EPOCROOT=\Symbian\6.1\Series60\
    EPOCPATH=c:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\EPOC32\gcc\bin;c:\Symbian\6.1\Shared\epoc32\Tools\

[UIQ]
    EPOCROOT=\Symbian\Uiq_70\
    EPOCPATH=c:\Symbian\Uiq_70\EPOC32\gcc\bin;c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symbian\Tools\;c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Symbian\Tools\

Maybe you will need to use this command to recognize UIQ

devices -setdefault @UIQ_70:com.symbian.UIQ

there is pretty good description of how to use EpocSwitch in the same directory as the program...

enjoy

Thank u

haha

Another method

If you don't want to use EpocSwitch for some reason, here's another method:

1) Associate a drive letter with each SDK path, for example: subst x: c:\symbian\6.1\series60

2) Set EPOCROOT to \ and EPOCPATH to something like \epoc32\gcc\bin;\epoc32\tools

S60 SDKs have stuff under both Series60 and Shared directories while some other Symbian SDKs have only one directory with epoc32. You might want to symlink (create a shortcut) from Shared\Epoc32 to Series60\Epoc32shared and add the epoc32shared stuff to EPOCPATH.

Now you should be able to work _simultaneously_ on multiple SDKs, each on its own drive letter.

Disclaimer: I have successfully run 4 SDKs simultaneously with this kind of setup. None of the SDKs was a S60 public SDK. Thus I'm not sure if the workaround for Series60/Shared directory distinction really works. You should really use this method if and only if you really need to work on multiple SDKs simultaneously, and the "context switch" overhead with EpocSwitch is too large.

Lauri

I had to reinstall the S60 SDK and found out that you can set the SDK and Shared paths in the installer. Thus, if you want to go the subst way described above, just install the SDK with SDK and Shared paths pointing to the same substed drive letter.

Lauri