Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Update UID 3 without breaking app?

I would like to go back to square one and JUST change the UID3 of my 3 executables. The only reason I tried a name change was desperation. I should not have to change the names in all these files to get this to work. The first executable changed UID3 without incident. I am at a loss as to why changing the UID3 in the second executable makes it fail installation.

I have changed paths, with no luck, and tried to change file names, obviusly without success. This should not be this difficult. There must be something I am missing when I change UID3 in the second executable. I have just sent a number of files to ltomuta. If anyone else would like to help puzzle this out, let me know and I'll send them to you, too.

Thank you all so much for the aid over a weekend.

Wizard, I caught the privus.rsc after I posted the pkg. Fixed that, commented out the .mif, commented out the .hlp, and still no install. If I leave everything as PRIVUS, the app should just update the old privus folders/files, yes? I have wiped the phone many times before installing...

very frustrating.

Nokia Developer Moderator

This was discussed several times and it is realy trivial to solve. Get this tool and search your project directory for all files that contain "EF123456" where "0xEF123456" would be your old UID3, and replace all occurences with the new UID string (without 0x). Clean the project before the replacement and re-build it after. Done! Still, the application cannot coexist on the same device with the old version, since the file names are not unique. If you intend to enable this scenario as well, then make the file names unique e.g. by appending the UID to their names.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

ltomua, I have done the search, and manually replaced the UIDs in all files. This works fine for the first .exe, without name or path changes, but not for subsequent exes. If I wipe the phone, is there any chance that old files are still in directories on the device? Nothing is co-existing after a wipe, correct?

For updating an existing application, the UID in the .pkg header (alternative name: PkgUID) is which matters.
    If it matches with the PkgUID of an already existing installation, the new installation is allowed to overwrite files from the old one. On the other hand, files delivered by the old package but not delivered by the new one are going to be removed.
    See http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...dingRules.html for the details. You will probably have to open the link twice, the first attempt usually brings the library main page.

Now I see that you are talking of three exes, but the PKG file only shows one. Show all the PKG files or send the SIS file(s) as requested. As said already several times, both UIDs and file names must be unique or else the installation will fail. Presuming that the UIDs are changed correctly, look at the file names.

Yes, file name clashes should not occur after device reset, or at least there will be no clashes with existing files. But attempting to install the same file twice, from two different SIS files, would still fail.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

The only reason I have this problem is I have to an an IMEI to the dev cert so I can send this to VietNam to make sure the translations will actually display on a Vietnamese language phone. If I could get the IMEI into my current cert, using my current UIDs, problem solved. But, when I upload a sis to Symbian to find my UIDs, it gets an error. This is all very frustrating. If you have an idea on how I can load this on a Vietnamese language phone without changing UIDs and certs, I could skip this mess.

All of the code and packages work on the device, until I change the UID3 in the PrivusDistributor.pkg and/or the PrivusMobileDistributor.pkg.

Here is how this works:

I have to manually sign the unsigned generated sis because I use protected capabilities. The cer/key are from Symbian. The new UIDs are from Symbian. I am not getting certificate errors when installing.

Privusmobile.pkg is not used to provide a .sis for the released app. Just to generate an Autostart.exe and the autostartprompt.rsc. I have generated a .sis to test the signing, etc, and the PrivusMobilesigned.sis generated using this pkg installs properly.

PrivusDistributor.pkg generates an embedded .sis that gets put into the privusmobiledistributor.pkg. The last one generates the application open, etc. The signed .sis I am currently debugging is the privusdistribdevsigned.sis, which stops halfway. I do get the “rebootmsg” listed in the pkg file before it fails.

I have not changed the UIDs in the final pkg(privusmobiledistributor.pkg) yet, since I am just trying to get the embedded file(privusdistribdevsigned.sis) to load into the device. This all works on the old UIDs, with old cer/key pair.

Here are the original pkg without edits:

PACKAGE #1
    ;----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;
    ; privusmobile_gcce.pkg - run this first but don't use the autostart.sis
    ;
    ; privusmobile.pkg
    ;
    ;Language - standard language definitions
    &VI, EN
    ; standard SIS file header
    #{"Caller Name", "Caller Name"},(0x2001FBB1),1,68,12
    ;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Smart Media", "Smart Media"}
    ;Unique Vendor name
    :"Accudata Technologies"
    ;Supports Series 60 v 3.0
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0,{"Series60ProductID", "Series60ProductID"}

;Files to install
    ;"C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\togoobserver.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\togoobserver.exe"
    ;"C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\2001B602.rsc" - "!:\resource\apps\2001B602.rsc"
    {
    "C:\Symbian\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\AutostartPrompt.r96"
    "C:\Symbian\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\AutostartPrompt.R01"
    } -"!:\resource\apps\AutostartPrompt.rsc"

"C:\Symbian\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\import\apps\AutostartPrompt_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\AutostartPrompt_reg.rsc"
    ;"C:\Symbian\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\AutostartPrompt_aif.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\AutostartPrompt_aif.mif"
    ;"C:\Symbian\9.2\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\2001B602.rsc"-"!:\private\101f875a\import\[2001B602].rsc"

"C:\Symbian\S60_3rd_FP1\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\AutostartPrompt.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\AutostartPrompt.exe",FR,RI

;replace the run-time generated settings file with an empty file
    ; This is used to allow re-installation after deactivation
    ;"settings.dat" -"!:\Data\PrivusMobile\settings.dat"

;required for application to be covered by backup/restore facility
    ;"backup_registration.xml" -"!:\private\2001B602\backup_registration.xml"

;Include PrivusDevSigned.sis in this sis
    ;@"..\..\..\Privus\Privus\sis\PrivusDevSigned.sis",(0x200216DC)

PACKAGE #2
    ;Run this second, sign the file to embed in the togoobserver.
    ; Privus.pkg To generate embedded.sis to sign before generating final SIS
    ;
    &VI,EN
    ;Standard SIS file header
    #{"iCaller", "iCaller"},(0x200216DC),1,68,12

;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Smart Media", "Smart Media"}

;Unique Vendor name

[0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"S60ProductID", "S60ProductID"}

;Files to install
    "C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\Privus.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\Privus.exe"
    ;"C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Privus_reg.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\Privus_reg.mif"

{
    "C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Privus.R96"
    "C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\Privus.R01"
    } -"!:\resource\apps\Privus.rsc"

"C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\Privus_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\Privus_reg.rsc"

"C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\PrivusIcons_aif.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\PrivusIcons_aif.mif"

"..\data\privus.mbm" -"!:\private\200216DC\privus.mbm"
    "..\data\register.mbm" -"!:\private\200216DC\register.mbm"

"..\help\Privus_0x2000FBB1.hlp" -"!:\resource\help\Privus_2001B243.hlp"

; This is used to trigger the Distributor Build behavior
    ;"DistributorBuild.txt" -"!:\private\200216DC\DistributorBuild.txt"

{
    "..\group\PrivacyStatement.t01"
    "..\group\PrivacyStatement.t96"
    } -"!:\private\200216DC\PrivacyStatement.txt"

IF (LANGUAGE=1) ; If the language is English, then display mytext.t02
    "rebootmsg.t01"-"", FILETEXT, TEXTCONTINUE
    ELSE ; Otherwise display mytext.t96 - Vietnamese
    "rebootmsg.t96"-"", FILETEXT, TEXTCONTINUE
    ENDIF

IF (LANGUAGE=1) ; If the language is English
    "AutoPrompt.t01"-"!:\Data\PrivusMobile\AutoPrompt.txt"
    ELSE ; Otherwise display mytext.t96 - Vietnamese
    "AutoPrompt.t96"-"!:\Data\PrivusMobile\AutoPrompt.txt"
    ENDIF

;Required for application to be covered by backup/restore facility
    "backup_registration.xml" -"!:\private\200216DC\backup_registration.xml"

PACKAGE #3
    ;
    ; privusmobile_gcce.pkg - installation file For final.sis generation with signed,embedded.sis
    ;
    ; privusmobile.pkg
    ;
    &VI,EN
    ; standard SIS file header
    #{"iCaller CallerName","iCaller CallerName"},(0x2001B602),1,68,12
    ;Localised Vendor name
    %{"Smart Media","Smart Media"}
    ;Unique Vendor name
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0,{"Series60ProductID","Series60ProductID"}
    "C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\togoobserver.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\togoobserver.exe"
    "C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\2001B602.rsc" - "!:\resource\apps\2001B602.rsc"

"C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\AutostartPrompt.r01" -"!:\resource\apps\AutostartPrompt.rsc"
    "C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\import\apps\AutostartPrompt_reg.rsc" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\AutostartPrompt_reg.rsc"
    "C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\AutostartPrompt_aif.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\AutostartPrompt_aif.mif"
    "C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\release\gcce\urel\AutostartPrompt.exe"-"!:\sys\bin\AutostartPrompt.exe",FR,RI

"C:\symbian\s60_3rd_fp1\epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\2001B602.rsc"-"!:\private\101f875a\import\[2001B602].rsc"

;replace the run-time generated settings file with an empty file
    ; This is used to allow re-installation after deactivation
    "settings.dat" -"!:\Data\PrivusMobile\settings.dat"

;required for application to be covered by backup/restore facility
    "backup_registration.xml" -"!:\private\2001B602\backup_registration.xml"

;Include PrivusDistributorDevSigned.sis in this sis
    @"..\..\..\Privus\Privus\sis\PrivusDistribDevSigned.sis",(0x200216DC)

As you can see, this is a little complicated, but ALL OF THE ABOVE WORKS. App works, etc. After I change UID3, to unique UID for each exe, Package #1 generates a sis I can manually sign that installs. Package #2 and #3 do not.

Thanks again.

I went back to original files. Did a search and replace out of the SDK for old/new UIDs. DID NOTHING ELSE. Now it works. Go figure.

Thank you all for the helpful instructions. I really don't know why it works now, but at least I can quit for the day!

Quote Originally Posted by ss7guru View Post
    I went back to original files. Did a search and replace out of the SDK for old/new UIDs. DID NOTHING ELSE. Now it works. Go figure.

Thank you all for the helpful instructions. I really don't know why it works now, but at least I can quit for the day!
    It works because this time you did it right. There's no magic involved
    -- Lucian

Hi Monica,

Even i am facing the same issue - after replacing UIDs with new ones (issued from Symbian signing), installation fails with "unable to install " message. Could you let me know what changes you did apart from changing UIDs in .mmp and .pkg files. Your immediate response is highly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

/Sivaji

Koyasivaji, what exactly is not working? Can you install? But when you click on the icon to start the program it won't start?
    You must be very careful with the search and replace. if you do a search/files, put in the new UID without the 0x, make sure the file name is *.* so you find everything. Mine kept skipping an mmp file. Once you are done, you must rebuild the icons or they won't point at the new .exe with the new UIDs.

Let me know if this helps!

Ok..here is my sisx sttucture.

Lets say

A.sisx contains B.sisx and a.exe with FR ,RI option
    B.SISX has b.dll and b.exe with FR ,RI option and this b.exe has static dependency on b.dll

The installationof A.sisx went fine if used RnD UIDs (means UIDs in un-protected range). But as soon as i changed tthese UIDs to UIDs provided by Symbian signe ones, installation fails
    And also i noticed that as soon as i changed the UID of b.dll to the new one, installation getting failed. But if keep UID of this dll to old one and updated UIDs of a.exe & b.exes to new UIDsis, installation was successfull.
    Am wondering how this UID change affecting this installation.

I am sorry, but I don't have any expertise with making or changing .dll files. When I changed UID's, all I did was a search and replace in the Carbide C++ SDK. So, I did not manually change anything in any built files. Maybe Wizard_Hu_ knows what your are talking about. He has been spot on for me with other problems.

This article and the "trick" it describes for newer devices may help in rectifying the installation issues: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...er-debug-guide
    Generally changing of UID-s should not cause problems, if you have the right to use the UID-s (they are either unprotected or part of your devcert). Rebuilding everything in dependency order is necessary, especially if you are using the UID-s in filenames (if you link with my_dll_E1234567.lib, that will not be able to load my_dll_21234567.dll). However this part should not affect installation but execution.