Discussion Board

Grab Volume Keys on Harmattan

Hi,

is there a way to grab the volume keys on Harmattan while my application is active? Since there is no Hildon any more the way it used to work on Maemo 5 desn't work any more.

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Grab Volume Keys on Harmattan

Quote Originally Posted by mzanetti1 View Post
    Hi,

is there a way to grab the volume keys on Harmattan while my application is active? Since there is no Hildon any more the way it used to work on Maemo 5 desn't work any more.

Thanks
    Check out the QmKeys under QmSystem (http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...tem2/main.html).

Quote Originally Posted by lavonius View Post
    Check out the QmKeys under QmSystem (http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...tem2/main.html).
    Thanks! This brings me a step closer.

Afaics this docs only handle how to get the signals. Still I cannot figure out how to grab them (disable the system volumeUp/volumeDown) while the keys are handled by my app.

Thanks! This brings me a step closer.

Afaics this docs only handle how to get the signals.
    Actually volume keys act like regular keys. You need QmKeys only if you want to intercept volume buttons while your application is in the background.

Still I cannot figure out how to grab them (disable the system volumeUp/volumeDown) while the keys are handled by my app.
    Use libresourceqt and acquire ScaleButtonResource. That will prevent the system or other applications from reacting to volume keys (assuming the resource acquisition was granted by the policy framework). Note also that you need to manually release that resource set when your application goes into background if you're paying attention only to volume key events (i.e. not subscribing to QmKeys).

Quote Originally Posted by mgedmin View Post
    Use libresourceqt and acquire ScaleButtonResource.
    If you want an example, I've just figured all of this out for FBReader. Here's my patch (with some unrelated changes) and my story of how I figured this stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by mgedmin View Post
    Actually volume keys act like regular keys. You need QmKeys only if you want to intercept volume buttons while your application is in the background.

Use libresourceqt and acquire ScaleButtonResource. That will prevent the system or other applications from reacting to volume keys (assuming the resource acquisition was granted by the policy framework). Note also that you need to manually release that resource set when your application goes into background if you're paying attention only to volume key events (i.e. not subscribing to QmKeys).
    Thank you very much for this information. This helps me out a lot by giving me more independent control over the volume of different applications. In addition, I find it to be very helpful to use noise cancelling headphones, I find that they help cut out a lot of the noise generated by the computer, making the sound cleaner and clearer, this way I can get by with a lower volume, which is very good on the ears.
    Last edited by Sheri; 2011-11-08 at 23:03.