Discussion Board

Question Moving from Ovi Publish developer certs to new Symbian Signed certs

Hi,

I have been using Ovi Store's free Symbian signing service, which means I have no Publisher ID. I have an existing app on Ovi Store with a UID assigned from Ovi. For development Ovi did send me certificates that could be used with a number of IMEI's.

As I understand it this is now replaced by Symbian Signed's new site, where an unverified account can do the same. Is this correct?

So, now when developing the next version of the app I want to keep the UID (I guess it is a must), but I can not add this UID to the list of UIDs in my Symbian Signed account. Does anyone know what's best to do in this situation?

I tried email both Ovi Support and Symbian Signed, but no answer.

Thanks in advance.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Moving from Ovi Publish developer certs to new Symbian Signed certs

UID-s assigned by Ovi are owned by Nokia. It is not sure, but I really doubt that you could get them to your own Symbian Signed account.
    The change of Symbian Signed site is generally not related to Ovi and its publisher program, especially since Symbian Signed still does not allow release signing without a Publisher ID.
    You could simply keep your Ovi account with its UID-s and developer certificate.

Thanks for your answer.

It makes sense what you're saying. The reason I jumped in to Symbian Signed is that my Ovi developert cert is expired and they don't answer my email, so I have no good way of deploying to my developer devices right now. Symbian Signed Online used to solve problems like this, R.I.P...

I will just have to wait for Ovi Publish support.

Nokia Developer Moderator

May I suggest that next time you receive a certificate from Ovi Publish you set-up a reminder in your calendar to notify you two weeks in advice of the expiration date so that you have enough time for an update?

Quote Originally Posted by kls_ View Post
    So, now when developing the next version of the app I want to keep the UID (I guess it is a must), but I can not add this UID to the list of UIDs in my Symbian Signed account. Does anyone know what's best to do in this situation?
    The UID is important, but more important is to understand its role whithing the application or the whole OS. There's nothing stoping you to replace it, using either a random 0xE-range UID or a protected UID which you get through your Symbian Signed account, and then use the devcert for signing.
    Then just change it back, correctly, before submitting the updated version of the app to Ovi Publish.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite