Discussion Board

Technical assistance required

Hello all,

I am damn new to symbian application development.
    Well I am trying to write an application which will capture a frame and return the bitmap format image on capturing which i will be processing further. I would like to first open a viewfinder which will display what camera sees and when i click on capture it should return the last frame.

I would really appreciate if some one could guide me on how and where to start.
    who can tell me what class and API i will use. Best, give or tell me some example.

I am working on "Series 60 3nd and 5nd Edition SDK for Symbian OS, Supporting Feature Pack 3"

Thank You in Advance,
    Shakthi

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Technical assistance required

Although I would not suggest this particular topic as a very first application, you can get a Camera example code from this site: Resource "menu" above, then pick Code examples, select Symbian C++ as technology, and you will find some "Camera Example 3.0" there.

yes., just now i find it as your suggestion. some time later ,i will study it . thank you very much. this is my first time to distributing post on forum nokia com
    on forum nokia.

hello
    wizard_hu, how are you! thanks for you again. now, i meet a new problem. i have developed a project for a month and achieved some work . the main component of the programme is capturing a frame and saveing as jpg file. yesterday and today i study the example you introduce to me. i find the kernel part is wrapped :camerawrapper. could you give me detail .cpp file and .h file . i want to know API function which i will use in my program. the best way , you change camerawrapper of the CameraExample to detail .cpp file and .h file as its content. i will be greatly appreciate to you . thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

The basic camera API is class CCamera, more or less unchanged for 7-8 years by now. Its basic usage is not too complex (NewL, Reserve, (ReserveComplete->)PowerOn, (PowerOnComplete->)PrepareImageCaptureL, CaptureImage, (ImageReady->)do something, you may also want StartViewFinder/BitmapsL), on the other hand it may have problem with certain features.
    When you are downloading the 3.0 example there are links to older versions, some of them use CCamera directly as I remember, without the wrapper magic.

EDIT: check the "Info" in order to reveal the older versions (clicking on the name of the example simply downloads it)

classical problem please answer for me

recently,i was developing a program . one part of the programme is capturing a frame and save as .jpg file. i found a Camera example code from this site: Resource "menu" above, Code examples, Symbian C++ as technology, "Camera Example 3.0" . yesterday and today i study the example careful,
    i find the kernel part (camerawrapper) of the example is wrapped . i want to know which API function i will use in my program. i need the detail of it :.cpp source file and .h file . please give me some advice . i am greatly appreciate with you . thanks here.