Discussion Board

application/x-systeminfo-widget doesn't work in Anna and 5th latest ROM

We're using the embedded object 'application/x-systeminfo-widget' to access information about the device (language, RAM, vibration) and to provide hapatic feedback (through vibration).

In Symbian Anna, and older devices with the latest ROM update, this isn't working anymore.
    All properties are returning 'Undefined' and setting vibration doesn't work anymore.

The Ovi apps approval process (QA) is reporting is doesn't work either in Nokia 5230 Firmware: V 10.0.067, 5800 Firmware: V 31.0.101 (works OK in v52.0.007).

Any ideias?
    BTW: It all works in previous firmware releases.

TIA,
    pivo

Re: application/x-systeminfo-widget doesn't work in Anna and 5th latest ROM

Hi,
    More on this issue.

After doing some deeper tests we could narrow down this problem.
    Is seems that the <embedded object in the new browser is 'broken'.
    It affects too the Flash object (also an embedded element) and the samples for the On Demand TV template.

Removing it from the HTML, and replacing with direct call to the device object, does the trick.
    Hope this helps someone else.
    pivo

Super Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this.
    In a another thread you mentioned, that you experienced "device" object is missing issue. Could you tell what was the device model and firmware version?

I tested the startvibra() from Platform Services 1.0 System Information API (WRT 1.0) with couple of Symbian Anna devices and it seems to work OK. Could you tell in which devices you experienced this issue? You can PM me if you like.

Br,
    Ilkka

I

Hi,
    The only Symbain Anna device I have access to has the firmware 021.013.00.01 (Portuguese) - Nokia X7.
    At this point I'm not using the code from out widget - a Wikipedia Browser (http://www.handout.pt/produto.asp?id=3-wikipedia) - because it's too complex for testing.
    I'm sticking to short code samples in order to get it to work and latelly include the changes needed in the main widget.
    This enables us to solve one problem at a time.

After one week of tests I came to some conclusions:

- I can't get the startvibra sample working. The one that is using the <embed type="application/x-systeminfo-widget" ...> object in HTML.
    Having the object declared in HTML causes the widget to malfunction. setTimer and setInterval stop working correctly.
    Removing it from the HTML solves that problem.

- All Widgets that are using the Flash component for TV On Demand (taken from the sample published in Nokia Forum) aren't working either. And this includes the ones that are preinstalled on the device (E!, National Geographic, Movie Teasers, ...)

- To control vibration I decided to use the 'device' object and the Plataform Services 1.0, but no luck here either.
    I can't use the 'device' object in Javascript.
    Just checking if it is available - if(device) - causes the widget to malfunction.
    It has to be tested inside a try - catch structure.

- Orientation sample published in Nokia Forum, using Sensors (iSensor interface), is not working either because it uses the 'device' object.

At this point I have managed to replace the <embed type="application/x-systeminfo-widget" ...> object by ISysInfo interface (couldn't get vibration working still) in order to be able to disable functions that might not work properly if the 'device' object is not available.
    Too much work for something that was so simples in first place.

I'm using several devices - 5800, N97, C7, N8 and X7 - and I'm having problems only with the lastest.
    Didn't had any problems with the others (now I have because I can't get the code
    var tRESULT = __SYSOBJ.ISysInfo.SetInfo({Entity:"General", Key:"VibraActive", SystemData:{Status:1}});
    to work).

My main worries are not with the X7, that one I can test and find a way around the problems.
    During the publishing process, the person that evaluated and tested the widget reported that it was nor working either in Nokia 5230 Firmware: V 10.0.067, 5800 Firmware: V 31.0.101.
    I can't test it in those devices and, according to the Ovi Store statistics, they are the most used (for downloads) in the countries we are targeting.

At this point I'm just looking for a way to have the widget working in the most devices possible (we won't be supporting the E6) but it's getting too complicated to avoid all this issues.

Any help here would be appreciated,
    TIA,
    pivo

Super Contributor

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that. The symptoms you described are suggesting that there is something wrong with that particular X7. I would recommend to take it to Nokia service point for re-flashing. Can't suggest doing hard reset because it might cause additional problems with Ovi store and Qt etc.. Device object missing has been discussed in this thread previously. http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...missing-on-N97

What comes to testing with 5230 and 5800 I would love to help, but the devices I have are already running latest firmware versions. I was trying to find the Wikipedia reader from the Ovi store, but there was only unit converter available. Could you share it with me some other way? PM url for example.

Br,
    Ilkka