Discussion Board

porting application to Series 80

hi all, I am trying to port an application from Series 60 to Series 80 and installed Series 80 developer platform 2.0 sdk for symbian. While trying to build a sample application (that comes with SDK example) for emulator getting error "\EPOC32\RELEASE\WINSCW\UDEB\EDLL.LIB" not found. and while trying to build the application for phone release GCCE , got the error Platform GCCE not supported BLD.INF. What's going wrong here. Thanks

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: porting application to Series 80

Series 80 is based on Symbian OS 7.0s, it has no GCCE build, but ARMI or THUMB (and ARM4 but that is less useful). However edll.lib is expected to be present, it is required for building any application on Symbian OS 6-7-8.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Series 80 is based on Symbian OS 7.0s, it has no GCCE build, but ARMI or THUMB (and ARM4 but that is less useful).
    Thanks wizard_hu_. When import the project from Carbide, in supported platforms it shows ARMV5, no ARMI or THUMB. And if ARMV5 is select i got the error "Platform ARMV5 not supported by BLD.INF". So how can the project be set to build for ARMI or THUMB.
    However edll.lib is expected to be present, it is required for building any application on Symbian OS 6-7-8.
    As the file seems to be missing from expected location what can be done? Thanks

Unfortunately I can not really try it, since the download seems to be gone (I guess it was not available even before the FN -> ND transition), and my backup copy is in an other country.
    However I am not sure if current Carbide.c++ versions even show you the Series 80 SDK. Double check which SDK you are using, both the build configuration and the messages in the Console view should clearly identify it.

The bigger unfortunate thing is that you need Carbide.c++ version 1.x as I know, which is supposed to be here, https://www.developer.nokia.com/info...807624c94.html, but the download does not work for me.

A completely different thing: Series 80 SDK has 2 variants, you need the CW (CodeWarrior) version for being used with Carbide.c++, since it pretends being CodeWarrior when building. The other version of the SDK is supposed to be used with Microsoft Visual Studio 6 or 7 (.Net). If it is unclear which SDK variant you have, the (default) folder name tells it: if it ends with _CW, that is the CodeWarrior- and Carbide.c++-compatible SDK.

And an other different thing: re-reading the error message suggests that the SDK simply does not see the configuration files, that is why it is trying to access its epoc32 folder in the root. My guess would be that the SDK is installed somewhere in c:\Symbian\7.0s\Series_80_SDK, and the epoc32 folder is inside it.

Also note that this SDK predates anything, Vista, Windows 7, that can be a reason for failed modification of the devices.xml file. Try executing devices from a command line in order to see if the SDK is visible at all.

Thanks wizard_hu_ for your clarification.
    However I am not sure if current Carbide.c++ versions even show you the Series 80 SDK. Double check which SDK you are using, both the build configuration and the messages in the Console view should clearly identify it.
    I am using carbide v 2.7 and it does show Series 80 SDK but with GCCE, WINSCW, and ARMV5.

The bigger unfortunate thing is that you need Carbide.c++ version 1.x as I know, which is supposed to be here, https://www.developer.nokia.com/info...807624c94.html, but the download does not work for me.
    Thanks i will try.

A completely different thing: Series 80 SDK has 2 variants, you need the CW (CodeWarrior) version for being used with Carbide.c++, since it pretends being CodeWarrior when building. The other version of the SDK is supposed to be used with Microsoft Visual Studio 6 or 7 (.Net). If it is unclear which SDK variant you have, the (default) folder name tells it: if it ends with _CW, that is the CodeWarrior- and Carbide.c++-compatible SDK.
    As stated in Series80DP20SDK70s.xml, the SDK is for Microsoft Version. Can it be used with Carbide c++ v 1.x.x?

And an other different thing: re-reading the error message suggests that the SDK simply does not see the configuration files, that is why it is trying to access its epoc32 folder in the root. My guess would be that the SDK is installed somewhere in c:\Symbian\7.0s\Series_80_SDK, and the epoc32 folder is inside it.
    C:\S60\devices\S80 is the root of the installation.Any issue about the installation location of the SDK?

Also note that this SDK predates anything, Vista, Windows 7, that can be a reason for failed modification of the devices.xml file. Try executing devices from a command line in order to see if the SDK is visible at all.
    My development os is Windows 7 and devices command shows the SDK in command prompt. So i think using Carbide v 1.x.x will solve the issue. Thanks again for your help.

The download link seems to be broken. Any alternate link or any other way i can get carbide v 1.x.x. Thanks

Carbide.c++ contains Code Warrior compiler inside, it can not handle the Microsoft-specific libraries. Even if the download gets fixed.
    However these toolchains are about emulator builds. If you are lucky, command-line target builds may work.
    Make sure that devices command shows the Series 80 SDK as default (devices -setdefault @<copy the complete name here> is the command for changing the selected SDK).
    Visit the group folder of an example project, and bldmake bldfiles, abld build armi urel commands may or may not work.

Using Series 80 SDK for CodeWarrior version solves the problem. Thanks wizard_hu_ for your help.