Discussion Board

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Running console apps on n950: Operation not permitted

Quote Originally Posted by kypeli View Post
    You can run shell scripts with "sh < myscript.sh" - which in its own demonstrates how un-useful the Security FW is since it cannot block random shell scripts from being executed. Just an annoyance for us, developers.
    Ah, okay. Finally this is now a solution for simple scripts. Sadly it fails because of a own binary that is called inside my script.

Okay, now I'm able to run my *.sh and end at the exactly same problem as the poster above.

Am I able to package my binary on the N950 directly and install it inside my *.sh if my binary is not executable?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by helex View Post
    Am I able to package my binary on the N950 directly and install it inside my *.sh if my binary is not executable?
    Why not to package your script and your binary into the single Debian package?

Quote Originally Posted by svlasov View Post
    That's what I mean, I have to take care of 'rules' file
    No, you don't.

I need to modify the project to find its files after they were installed into different locations. With Security FW disabled I would just copy over the whole build to /home/user/ and execute it from there, that's how I do it on N900.
    Since Qt Creator produce package for you, copy and install it on the device over SSH why would you care?

Projects are not always Qt-based
    It makes exactly no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by divanov View Post
    Why not to package your script and your binary into the single Debian package?
    I don't want to distribute my small testing scripts and binaries. It's only for myself. I need to watch and extract data I need for my own project. It's only commandline, without icon, without UI.

Since Qt Creator produce package for you, copy and install it on the device over SSH why would you care?
    I don't like the Idea to have my awful coded testing stuff placed at /usr/bin/
    Simply deleting or replacing a old bin with the new version is far faster and easier. - Lots of unneeded extra work because of the "security framework".

I tried to install the *.deb that Qt Creator creates itself using dpkg -i test.deb but my application still won't start from commandline. Need to dig and search now why.
    EDIT: works now, bin was located in /usr/local/bin/ instead of /usr/bin/ - but I'm still not happy how to handle it

Btw. SSH is the most time for me not possible. Have only Bluetooth with me while developing. (train)
    Last edited by helex; 2011-07-13 at 20:21.

Super Contributor

A little off-topic, but related to the SSH comment:
    Can't you use SSH over USB? Instructions on how to set that up are available here
    http://library.developer.nokia.com/t...ttan_85c9.html

Hartti

Super Contributor

I don't want to distribute my small testing scripts and binaries. It's only for myself. I need to watch and extract data I need for my own project. It's only commandline, without icon, without UI.
    Then two Debian binary packages.

I don't like the Idea to have my awful coded testing stuff placed at /usr/bin/
    Then place it elsewhere?

The original point of this thread is that security fw creates unnecessary complications for us developers. We know how to create Debian packages. We just don't like creating them unnecessarly (security fw does not add anything for us). If Nokia does not intend to improve on this situation, fine, just admit it and developers can make their development decisions based on that. But please don't try to help us in this demining way. Thank you.

Super Contributor

The original point of this thread is that security fw creates unnecessary complications for us developers. We know how to create Debian packages. We just don't like creating them unnecessarly (security fw does not add anything for us). If Nokia does not intend to improve on this situation, fine, just admit it and developers can make their development decisions based on that. But please don't try to help us in this demining way. Thank you.
    Real developers don't whine on every single occasion. I cannot know what Nokia intends to do, but I bet security won't be disabled on N950 and you have to live with it.

Real developers don't whine on every single occasion. I cannot know what Nokia intends to do, but I bet security won't be disabled on N950 and you have to live with it.
    It's people like you and stupid decisions like these that make "real" developer look for other platforms to develop for than Nokia.

Super Contributor

It's people like you and stupid decisions like these that make "real" developer look for other platforms to develop for than Nokia.
    I do not affect development for any platform in any imaginable way. On the other hand, the only problem with security I'm able to see, is that Debian package creation increases build time slightly (and you need to write manifest file in some cases, but not for the most of applications).

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Running console apps on n950: Operation not permitted

I'd like to add my vote for allowing developers to disable the security framework, especially on a clearly-identified developer device. In fact it was my understanding that capability was intended for Harmattan all along. ???

But let's also tone down the rhetoric, okay guys?

Most questions about the security model are answered in the Harmattan developer library section on security.

That said, what's the best way to craft an aegis manifest if one is only using scratchbox for development? I have a debian package of Firefox mobile (Fennec) but it won't install until I've provided one. The source I'm using came with one but it seems inadequate for what I'm seeing in the docs. Please advise.

-Gary

Code:
    <aegis>
      <request>
        <credential name="TrackerReadAccess" />
        <credential name="TrackerWriteAccess" />
        <for path="/usr/lib/fennec/fennec" />
      </request>
    </aegis>

Quote Originally Posted by gdriggs View Post
    Most questions about the security model are answered in the Harmattan developer library section on security.

That said, what's the best way to craft an aegis manifest if one is only using scratchbox for development? I have a debian package of Firefox mobile (Fennec) but it won't install until I've provided one. The source I'm using came with one but it seems inadequate for what I'm seeing in the docs. Please advise.
    Maybe you can create some small HelloWorld application in Qt Creator, deploy that on the device and examine that Debian package's content for the aegis file? But out of curiosity; why does Fennec need Tracker access?

Nokia Developer Moderator

There are is a number of interwoven questions here - internal requirements of the system applications themselves, accountability of used resources, difficulty of switching from a framework-less device to the end-user one, internal requirements of the system applications themselves, etc. In either case, rest assured we're working on improving the process itself, partially streamlining the process itself, partially improving documentation.

Maybe you can create some small HelloWorld application in Qt Creator, deploy that on the device and examine that Debian package's content for the aegis file? But out of curiosity; why does Fennec need Tracker access?
    I don't know -- is tracker a geolocation library? I saw some mention that the IDE makes it much easier to select components that the app needs access to but I haven't looked for an explanation of what they might be. Regardless of having the manifest, it still failed to install on the N950. I think it would be pointless to disable the security features on dev devices if it's not an option on the N9.

Quote Originally Posted by gdriggs View Post
    I don't know -- is tracker a geolocation library?
    Nup. Tracker is a RDF based storage backend with metadata. http://projects.gnome.org/tracker/. It contains information about all the content on the device (images, songs, contacts, emails, SMS...)