Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Qt on Windows Phone, again...

After wasting some time to understand the requirements for Windows Phone development and the implication on my apps, again i feel the need to write to Nokia and tell 'em: PLEASE SUPPORT Qt ON WINDOWS PHONE!

So, is there here other people who feels like me? Does anybody wants to team up and write a common letter to some Nokia CEO and ask for this? You know, i am just one developer with a couple of apps... If we can join efforts maybe somebody will listen to us...

Super Contributor

Re: Qt on Windows Phone, again...

It's Microsoft which is producing Windows Phone 7 and deciding what it supports.

Given that probably its Nokia who will decide success of failure of Windows Phone... could'nt Nokia have a word on it? At least, we tried...

Super Contributor

Nokia won't continue as a separate company the latest mid-2012. It decides nothing.

Well, so beside good words and other quite pointless Qt announcements, so what is the future of Qt? Your statement means Qt is dead and we are all wasting time and effort.

Super Contributor

Qt was a very good framework good before Nokia wasted it with QtQuick making it inefficient. QtQuick obviously has no future, but it shadows Qt as well.
    Last edited by divanov; 2011-07-13 at 09:37.

I have not looked into QtQuick yet, but i dont agree with you, in priciples at least.

Having finally a read separation between UI and core is good and can only leads to something better. For once, laying out complex interfaces in Qt at the moment is a PIA both using designer or hand writing it in code. Whoever tryed it has wished for a quicker and better way. I dont know if QtQuick is the answer (i have not tryed yet), but the most of the time wasted is on UI designing at the moment and its very disappointing and boring.

Also, having some REAL separation will help portability, since i dont believe too much in Lighthouse. Yes its a very cool stuff showing great results (my apps already runs in Android thaks to that) but clearly not adeguate for a real user experience, because users expect consistent native UIs... and Lighthouse just gives you a Qt UI everywhere, does not adapt the UI to the target. Not so good for mobile environment i guess.

So, the direction is good i guess, but will it reallt go somewhere and overcome the obvious limtations (speed? javascript?... put your here) or will just be shut down next year?

Super Contributor

I thought HP's WebOS has proven that JavaScript is a wrong tool for making mobile applications, but no. And idea to couple JavaScript and C++ based engine in the same applications sounds like insane. Obviously Vala approach (no added runtime needs) is way superior to what we see in QtQuick.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vala_%2...ng_language%29

Still, Qt is the best choice at the moment. I dont care for the language. The browser war proved javascript CAN be fast and efficient. What i care for is: most whidespread supported platforms, stable support for the foreseable future, minimum effort to port an app to the supported platforms.

Qt is doing well on the first (albeit at least 6 more months to 1 year seems to be required), but the on the other two...

I am really afraid Qt is a dead cow at the moment. Besides all nice Nokia words.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gardiol View Post
    The browser war proved javascript CAN be fast and efficient.
    It can, in your dreams

So, what's your opinion about the future of Qt?
    I already know of your low opinion on QtQuick i am interested in the overall future...

Super Contributor

If on mobiles, Qt is limited to the dying Symbian, and the MeeGo that hasn't and might never really take off, and an unsupported version for Android that almost nobody uses, then Qt is, indeed a dead cow (or a dying cow where some movement can be detected, but it is unlikely to survive).

Of course, should Qt all of a sudden be reborn for a volume platform (e.g., Nokia's public hints for the "next billion", which doesn't refer to Window Phone smartphones, but the existing Series 40 kind of devices and their users), things might change. Fully supporting it on Android might help, too. And if RIM adopted it. For Nokia's sake, it'd also be good Nokia persuaded Microsoft to allow Qt on Windows Phone, too.

Without those things, it is a dead or a dying cow, as you put it. Of course, on the desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux) it probably will live on for desktop/PC software developers, even if withers and dies on mobile.

Very clear. I just hope to see different answers than what's real.
    Because being screwed hard its never nice.

I am a free-time developer with a quite successful app on OVI, and the Nokia move just wrote a big "the end" on the entire story by 2012. Given i dont have time to rewrite all the codebase for another platform. Or maybe its just what i need to do and forget Nokia forever.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    If on mobiles, Qt is limited to the dying Symbian, and the MeeGo that hasn't and might never really take off, and an unsupported version for Android that almost nobody uses, then Qt is, indeed a dead cow (or a dying cow where some movement can be detected, but it is unlikely to survive).
    Intel continues MeeGo and it's QtQuick-based.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    For Nokia's sake, it'd also be good Nokia persuaded Microsoft to allow Qt on Windows Phone, too.
    Windows Phone 7's market share is 1%. Who cares what does it support?

Divanov...

When Nokia start shipping WP7, WP7 will gain share. Just because a lot of non-tech people (and a lot of companies!) buy Nokia because it's Nokia. So WP share will increase for sure. If it doesnt, well, i am sad because the two-player game (Android/ios) is not pushing the tech bar up anymore and some more competitors are a must.

Anyway, come on, MeeGo, what it is? Beside some cool but unrealistic attempts from Nokia.