Discussion Board

3650 can't contact server

I'm having connection problems. The emulator works fine, and hitting the same URL as the one my application generates in WebViewer works great. Every once in a while I get a valid request out, but I can't seem to reproduce the conditions for it.

Any suggestions? I've got firmware 2.41 on Cingular (U.S.).

I'm making the HttpConnection from a separate thread.

Wes

Regular Contributor
    Are you getting a specific error message?

Are you using a WAP access point or Internet access point?

Have you tried connecting to an IP address instead of a named host to eliminate DNS as a possible cause of the problem?

Posting your code may also help.

I simplified the code to a simple test case.

If I try using the GPRS access point, I get the following response after about 30 seconds (the 'G' flashes and connects):

****Cancel**go=*2*eE**Detai
    ls**<J*#details***e8****2**
    500: Web service problem: Please
    contact the service provider.
    ***cU*details**e8****2**
    1500: Could not connect to site.

[the stars are actually boxes]

If I use a dialup connection, I get an IOException with message "Status = -33".

Another error message I can see is that after forcing the application to exit, I sometimes get an error dialog on the JAM screen saying "App. closed jes-a0-ConnectionsEventServer@1E32USER-CBase 46".

I tried using the IP address with the same results, so I don't think it's a DNS issue (and webviewer can connect with the same access point and hostname).

Thanks for your help. Any ideas?
    Last edited by wesbiggs; 2003-06-03 at 19:35.

Looks like WebViewer uses a proxy server, which is how it is able to get around the issue. It's an issue with that particular host -- I can't reach it from the WAP browser either. So I don't think this is a Java problem. Still, if you have any suggestions on how to fix it, let me know. AFAIK there's no IP restrictions on the web server itself.

Regular Contributor
    I would try experimenting with different hosts and different types of servers--try requesting an image from some public Web sites and also from your host. Check whether you can get content from sites with the same make of Web server (IIS, Apache, whatever) as the server you're trying to reach.

I would also experiment with different kinds of content and different Content-Type headers in case the WAP gateway isn't able to handle the kind of content that your server is returning.

It sounds like you're using a GPRS WAP access point. I would try using a GPRS Internet access point. For Cingular, I think the GPRS APN that you want is "isp.cingular" with username "ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM" and password "CINGULAR1", but I'm not sure.

When using an Internet access point on the Nokia 3650 or 7650, you need to set the gateway IP to 0.0.0.0.

Hi Liam,

I solved the issue. The application wasn't sending a User-Agent header, so I tacked one on explicitly.

It must have been confusing the WAP gateway somehow.

Thanks for the tips.

Wes