Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Question S40 Webapp Audio

Hi guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to play small audio files. Mp3 or other format from within a S40 Webapp? Looking to have a button inside my webapp, when clicked, the audio plays (without needing to launch and open an external auido player) So user clicks button and sound plays. Is this possible? What code if any is needed to get this working.

These are not huge sound files, just small sound effects. When I develop using flash lite for S40 this works fine but not sure how to get it working for webapps.

Any info will be great. Thanx for the help.

Re: S40 Webapp Audio

Try to use manager class & player interface from package javax.microedition.media. I have used the same classes to play mp3 & 3gp files in my S40 app.

(I am not sure whether this info gonna help you or not)

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by vishal.vpb View Post
    Try to use manager class & player interface from package javax.microedition.media. I have used the same classes to play mp3 & 3gp files in my S40 app.

@vishal.vpb : Good to see your effort to help, appreciate it. Please note that along with Java ME apps we can now develop Web Apps for Series 40 devices (incase you are not aware of) you can read more about Series 40 Web Apps here https://www.developer.nokia.com/Deve...s_40_web_apps/

Regards
    Gopal

@balgopalks : Actually I am unaware of series 40 web apps. Thank you for your advice, I have started to read documents in the link given by you.

Quote Originally Posted by vishal.vpb View Post

Thanx for the info. Not sure if this will work in a Webapp. The sound works fine in other software like flashlite, but not in Webapp.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by simonB View Post
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know if it's possible to play small audio files. Mp3 or other format from within a S40 Webapp? Looking to have a button inside my webapp, when clicked, the audio plays (without needing to launch and open an external auido player) So user clicks button and sound plays. Is this possible? What code if any is needed to get this working.

These are not huge sound files, just small sound effects. When I develop using flash lite for S40 this works fine but not sure how to get it working for webapps.

Any info will be great. Thanx for the help.
    @simonB, Have you tried rtsp://"Sound file URL" in Button's OnClick ? I guess it should work in the device.

Regards
    Gopal

Quote Originally Posted by balagopalks View Post
    @simonB, Have you tried rtsp://"Sound file URL" in Button's OnClick ? I guess it should work in the device.

Regards
    Gopal
    @balagopalks Thanx for the help. Yes have tried rtsp://"Sound file URL" in Button's OnClick ? - this opens the media player.
    Is it not possible to play audio with media player not opening over my app? so when u click sound button audio plays instantly without a media player popping up?

I am also trying to play mp3 files but not successded. I tried in <a> tag but its not working, could anyone please help me with some code example.

Nokia Developer Champion

just a suggestion... on initial page create a button to link on another html with .swf (with the tone in it) embeded on and add back button to go back to initial page?

Nokia Developer Champion

I'm looking playing sounds too in a webapp...

I guess the problem here is that new S40 phones doesn't have flash-lite anymore... (asha phones for example)

I'll try the rtsp://Sound.mp3 but it would be nice if the player at least exits when audio file ends? anyone aware that you can send comands for the audi player let's say like this: rtsp://Sound.mp3?autoclose=true

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by shpe View Post
    anyone aware that you can send comands for the audi player let's say like this: rtsp://Sound.mp3?autoclose=true
    I haven't tried it, but I would guess it doesn't work... there are no published commands for the browser.

Could be a good feature to request: http://www.developer.nokia.com/bugs/...ct=Series%2040
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Nokia Developer Champion

scratch that... does not work