Discussion Board

Connecting Nokia 9210 emulator to Internet

I am using the Crystal SDK on Windows and want to connect the emulator to the net. I am aware, I have to use 'Direct Cable setting' in emulator and a cable to connect between ports of COM1 and RAS Port. Can you please help me, how to do this?

Regular Contributor

RE: Connecting Nokia 9210 emulator to Internet

Configuring your workstation to use LAN connection with Nokia 9210 emulator can be difficult. There can be several things, that can affect the configuration. Especially configuring RAS can be very difficult.

Because of the fact that workstation cofigurations can vary a lot - which makes instruction writing very difficult - I would encourage you to use a cellular phone in connecting to Internet. Actually, this can also be seen as a fairly natural solution, since 9210 uses cellular phone too!

Below you can find notes, what I did to set up my WinNT + Nokia 9210 SDK + Nokia 9110 configuration. In the configuration you do not have to have a N9110. Basically, you can have any GSM phone.

-- INSTRUCTIONS --

Backup your cdbv2.dat file. Default location for the file is \Epoc32\Wins\c\system\Data\.

Connect a mobile phone through serial cable to COM1 in your workstation. Make sure, that you have a working Windows dial-up connection created for the phone. (So that you can be sure you have the phone installed properly.)

Start t_editdb.exe tool in \Epoc32\Release\wins\udeb\.

Go through steps described below.

1) Modem Information

(If you do not have any modems, add a new one with CTRL+A)

Name: Cellular phone cabled
    PortName: Comm::0
    TSYName: GSMBSC
    CSYName: ECUART
    FaxClassPref: <Auto>
    SpeakerPref: <Never>
    SpeakerVolPref: <Quiet>
    DataBits: <8>
    StopBits: <1>
    Parity: <None>

Rate: <19,200 bps>
    Handshake>ObeyCTS: <On>
    Handshake>FailCTS: <Off>
    Handshake>ObeyDSR: <Off>
    Handshake>FailDSR: <Off>
    Handshake>ObeyDCD: <On>
    Handshake>FailDCD: <On>
    Handshake>FreeRTS: <Off>
    Handshake>FreeDTR: <Off>
    ModemInitString: ATZ

DataInitString: AT
    FaxInitString: AT
    MessageCentreNumber:
    MessageValidityPeriod: 0
    MessageDeliveryReport: <True>

Please remember to hit enter after changing any values. Otherwise the changes will not be saved!

2) ChargeCard Information

One charge card record is always needed for t_editdb to operate properly. If there is a "Record not found" text, press CTRL+A to add one. Leave "New Record" text in all text fields. Exit to main menu by pressing ESC.

3) Location Information

One location record is always needed for t_editdb to work properly. If there is text "<Record not found>" press CTRL+A to add one. Type in your location settings. Exit to main menu by pressing ESC.

Name: Mobile
    IntlPrefixCode:
    NatPrefixCode:
    NatCode:
    AreaCode:
    DialOutCode:
    DisableCallWaitingCode:
    Mobile: True
    UsePulseDial: False
    WaitForDialTone: False

PauseAfterDialout: 0

4) Dial Out ISP Information

If no ISPs do exist yet, add a new record by pressing CTRL+A. In my tests, I used a commercial ISP (Sonera, Finland) when testing the system. The ISP did not require any user names, so I was able to leave IfAuthName and IfAuthPass blank.

Name: ISP for my connection
    DefaultTelNum: TYPE DIAL-UP NUMBER HERE
    DialResolution: <False>
    UseLoginScript: <False>
    PromptForLogin: <False>
    LoginName:
    LoginPass:
    DisplayPCT: <False>
    IfPromptForAuth: <False>
    IfAuthName: IF A USER NAME IS REQUIRED TYPE IT HERE
    IfAuthPass: IF A PASSWORD IS REQUIRED TYPE IT HERE
    IfCallbackEnabled: <False>
    IfCallbackType: <IETF Type 0>
    IfCallbackInfo:
    IpAddrFromServer: IF YOU GET AN IP ADDRESS FROM THE SERVER SET TO TRUE OTHERWISE TO FALSE
    IpAddr: IF YOU DO NOT GET AN IP ADDRESS FROM THE SERVER TYPE YOUR IP HERE, OTHERWISE LEAVE BLANK.
    IpDNSAddrFromServer: IF YOU GET DNS ADDRESS(ES) FROM THE SERVER SET TO TRUE OTHERWISE TO FALSE
    IpNameServer1: IF YOU HAVE TO SPECIFY DNS BY YOURSELF TYPE THE ADDRESS HERE, OTHERWISE LEAVE BLANK.
    IpNameServer2: IF YOU HAVE TO SPECIFY DNS BY YOURSELF TYPE THE ADDRESS HERE, OTHERWISE LEAVE BLANK.
    EnableIPHeaderComp: <True>

Enable LCPExtension: <True>
    DisablePlainTextAuth: <False>
    EnableSWComp: <True>
    Type: <Internet And WAP> <-PLEASE NOTICE: USE ALWAYS THIS ALTERNATIVE

5) Dial Out IAP Information

If no IAPs do exist yet, add a new record by pressing CTRL+A.

Name: IAP for my connection
    ISP: ISP for my connection
    Modem: Cellular phone cabled
    Chargecard: NULL

Please remember to set this IAP as DEFAULT RECORD in the topmost field in the configuration page. Press ESC to exit to main menu.

Press "Q" to quit and any key to exit. Your CommsDB is now ready.

Start Nokia 9210 emulator. Please notice, that opening any Internet settings dialog will delete your manually configured settings.

Open your web or WAP browser and start browsing the net!

Regular Contributor

help me to configure the 9210 emulator to windows xp

dear sir,

I am a postgraduate student from bangalore, india.

I am working on 9210 emulator.
    my system configuration is windows xp professional,MSVC++ 6.0, nokia 9200 series communicator sdk.

I have gone through document which says how to configure NT RAS and nokia 9210 emulator which is there in nokia website but i am having windows xp.

can u help me to configure my my 9210 emulator so that i can access internet from my emulator and also to run tcp/ip based applications.

thanks in advance
    vinayaka karjigi