Discussion Board

Swipe UI: simple small suggestions (SX3)

My spider sense is tingling and I'm not sure where to post this ramble, if anywhere in here. I'm writing about UX here though not from an applications UX, but from the UX of the platform itself. Feel free to move this if I'm in the wrong place. This particular forum hasn't got much life in it and it deserves some action too!

I have a few very very basic and simple "ideas", which don't revolutionize anything, but would add some nice polish, that I'd like to have on my N9 if I ever manage to get one. So I am doing this for selfish reasons (y).

A few years back some smartphone philosophic came up with the idea, that the next great big smartphone platform would become successful because it would know it's user. What all this entails - I don't know, but examples given were that it'd know when your friends were nearby and you'd have an comprehensive search that would custom tailor the search results to your liking. To me these things don't really give you the feeling that your phone knows you, albeit they are nice additions (the search has later been made into reality in WP7 in some scale).

I don't have it in me to come up with all the jizzle to make a phone so smart that it can suggest you things without "sounding" like the metallic thing from word and being equally annoying. But with a few simple things the phone can - well - make your day easier. I'm talking about the events view in particular. Where it shows the date/weather it could also show name days, birthdays. (Birthdays probably already get aggregated to the events view somehow?) The point here is that the phone should collect these small bits and peaces of information that you might otherwise forget and remind you of them saving you some trouble. It could go through the most popular services, like Facebook, and collect this data. Naturally your calendar, which is already integrated I'm sure. Never to forget a birthday, or even worse: your wedding day, again.

I want to have music controls everywhere, so this might just be me wanting them everywhere, but when the music app is running, you could display some controls for it in the events view under the date. To me those controls would be at least as useful as knowing the weather.

This one I had the patience to do properly: MUSIC CONTROLS :D

The next view - the app view - is nice, but the big scrolling list is just hard to navigate from time to time. You have your favorite apps at the top, but when you need that one that you don't so often use, which is located all the way somewhere in the bottom of the list, you're going to have trouble finding it. Or at least I have trouble with this. That's way it'd be nice to have some options on how the apps are arranged, just for the sake of using these options to find something. First option could be to arrange them alphabetically, then maybe most used (well this is more of indicator on how much time you spend on IRC and other non-productive applications), last used and maybe even have a search function there for those situations when you really can't find what you're looking for.

Controlling the order could be done by adding some option in the bar that pops up saying "Done" (sorry for using this technical jibber jabber).

If arranged alphabetically, it's important to clearly show where the letter changes!

Open applications view comes the last. Now the applications get arranged in this view by last used, which is somewhat curious in my opinion. I think it's a shortcoming, but if it has some weird logic in it, that I only get by testing it out myself, I have a small suggestion: being able to pin applications. I'm sure there are a few apps that I'll access a lot from the open applications view and in these cases it would be optimal, to know where they are. Now I'm getting the feeling that I'm going to completely fail at explaining this, so I'm just going to give an example.

I'd use mail and IRC a lot, so I want them somewhere "close". I'd probably 'pin' (if I could) my IRC application as the first app in my open applications view (OAV). If I did this, the last used app wouldn't jump all the way to the first spot, but to the second one. If I'd pin my mail app as the second app in OAV, the last used application would jump to the third spot. If I'd pin something in the 4th spot, the latest used application would jump to the 3rd spot, forcing the second most used application to jump to the 5th spot.

You reading me? Pinning could be done from the same state from which you close applications; just add an icon in the similar fashion as the big 'ol X to one of the corners.

The next really original idea can remind someone from another platform that hovers around somewhere, but I'm not going to mention it, just because I don't want to admit it that this idea was not original at all. I can understand if this slight resemblance could be a factor in whether making this idea come true or not. But some nice guy with a little bit of hack in his veins could make this happen, not having to be afraid of giant corporation lawsuits :)

"Piles". Oh lord thou shalt be thanked of the power of synonyms! In the few videos presented they showed how every browser window was shown as it's own application in the OAV -- > you already know where I'm getting at. Would be nice to have the option to sta... ugh PILE each of these "windows" on top another saving space and making everything look tidier for us OCD people.

The next thing is background. If they're ever going to release and update I'm sure this is a thing it's going to bring with it. "The edgeless display" looks really cool in those adverts of yours, but at some point you just might want to opt for something a bit more colorful.

Maybe an harsher than harsh edge shadow, to keep the illusion of edgelessness.The colour of the shadow should be #000000 right after the edge, but preferably clear out to more transparent pretty quickly. I really didn't have the patience to make this image portray that.

The last thing should be obvious if anything above has made any sense. I get keeping everything simple is a good thing. Would be off putting for a new user if swiping from different sides were to do completely different things. But when you grow accustomed to how things work, you're most likely going to start 'favouriting' one or two of the edges, leaving the rest for "grabs".

A few simple examples (that again I'd like to have for myself (.)(.)): swiping from the top edge would bring me to the app view even if it was not the last used view. Swiping from the bottom would bring up music controls (see, I'm a total lunatic when it comes to music controls: everywhere, I WANT THEM EVERYWHERE GODDAMNIT :D). What each swipe does could be configured from the settings. Letting us control 2/4 would mean that we could make the phone more personal, but the system would still be idiot proof (though nothing is if you find an idiot that's stupid enough).

I love the quick launcher. It's complete proof that there are some very bright individuals working behind the UX. It's a small addition, but a clever one nevertheless. Clever one because it creates a new "gesture". One edge used: three to go.

So sorry for bothering you guys with this, but I want the perfect smartphone and the N9 is so close to that! I absolutely love the UX, but by polishing it from a few places, I'd love it even more. I don't know why my love would be so important though...

Someone please make an SSH connection app that lets you use irssi! Example. Vital for the platform.

Also: N9 would be perfect hardware if it had more pixels and a CPU that wasn't a year old. There, I said it. Sorry N9. I'll never talk about those two things again.

That's that. Mind you, this was written after a night of no sleep (thank you dogs, thank you birds, thank you noisy people next door) with the power of Cocal Cola. And I hate Cocal Cola.
    Last edited by JX3; 2011-07-25 at 15:44.

Super Contributor

Re: Swipe UI: simple small suggestions (SX3)

Thanks for the feedback JX3!

Finding you suggestions in the long text was a little challenging, but I think I found most of them.

Comments in no particular order.
    The screen resolution is already quite high, what kind of resolution are you talking about?
    You can use the music controls in the headset if you want. Yes, music controls are not available everywhere
    You can order the application grid the way you like. Long press the grid and start moving the apps around. Different than what you are talking with sorting options, though.
    The calendar reminders are shown on top of all UI. You cannot really miss them. The coming events are not shown in the notifications area though.
    There is an option to turn on a feature where swiping from the top will close the active app.
    When you swipe up and stop your finger for a sec, you will see a shortcut to 4 apps (camera, web, phone and messaging)

Hartti
    Last edited by hartti; 2011-07-26 at 00:00. Reason: fixed a couple of typos

The screen resolution is already quite high, what kind of resolution are you talking about?
    It might be pretty high by Nokia standards (?) but more and more Android phones are starting to ship with qHD (high end) not to miss the iPhone. These hardware worries of mine, however, were just curses to the gods and I don't really expect to see any change in them. As N9 is seemingly going to be the only MeeGo phone for a while, well. Yeah.

You can use the music controls in the headset if you want. Yes, music controls are not available everywhere
    Does the N9 ship with a headset?

You can order the application grid the way you like. Long press the grid and start moving the apps around. Different that what you are talking with sorting options, though.
    I've ran each emulator I've been able to find and have probably watched every video that's ever made of the N9: I know. I also know that I'm scrolling the same kind of list in Android phones and I can re-arrange icons in it the same way, but I can't find anything. That might just be me though, maybe I need special care :P

The calendar reminders are shown on top of all UI. You cannot really miss them. The coming events not show in the notifications area though.
    Okkeydokey. I really can't comment much of these things anyway as I've not found any info about them. Does the calendar app fetch data from Facebook etc?

There is an option to turn on a feature where swiping from the top will close the active app.
    That's a nice addition and it's better than nothing, although I personally would prefer another function. Maybe it would be giving too much options for the user (I'm not being sarcastic).

When you swipe up and stop your finger for a sec, you will see a shortcut to 4 apps (camera, web, phone and messaging)
    It's called the quick launcher;
    I love the quick launcher. It's complete proof that there are some very bright individuals working behind the UX. It's a small addition, but a clever one nevertheless. Clever one because it creates a new "gesture". One edge used: three to go.
    And I think it's a fine addition.

I understand that I might have rambled a bit, but that's just a bad habit I caught whilst I rambled about Symbian; people there just loved walls of text, so I tried to give them that. Although I didn't debate as big of changes as these.

Maybe these aren't so simple and small then? If N9 is as open as claimed there's probably a way for me to affect these things myself. I mean that it migth very well be so that these changes don't sound as good to other people as they do to me. We are our own individuals here. So in that case it would be better for all if I made these changes in the quiet of my own dark room ;P I tried to browse for a non official MeeGo forum, something in the style of XDA, but it's only natural that such a place does not exist. At least not in a big scale. Or if it does (someone) link?

"Most of them" (quoting you) suggest that you know you didn't find all - by accident? I don't want to sound pushy if I condence them to you.

Piles:
    http://i.imgur.com/rwlB7.jpg
    Pinning:
    http://i.imgur.com/qVM8w.jpg
    Open application window keeps a one user chose spot in the OAV grid.

Being able to add a background image that shows in the views, not only in the lock screen. Trying to keep the edgeless feel with a dark edge shadow.
    http://i.imgur.com/rPGbo.jpg

Hartti on aika eksoottinen nimi muuten. Tuon laitan ylös, jos tulisi joskus omiakin lapsia hankittua.

Super Contributor

About the resolutions:
    Personally I categorize all phones with over about 800x400 resolution in the same group - high resolution. I agree that there are phones which have more pixels on the screen than N9, yes.

The sales packaging seems to contain headsets without playback buttons
    http://europe.nokia.com/find-product...specifications

Facebook events are shown in the Facebook application. Not on the home screen. And I do not think that the events show up in the built-in calendar app. At least I have not seen that.

When I said I found most of the suggestions in your message, I just meant that I read your message, but it was too long for me to go through sentence by sentence :-) yes, I am lazy.

Here are 2 links to quite active meego forums (there are also other topics on these forums than N9)
    http://forum.meego.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
    http://forum.meego.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

To me, pinning of the background apps feels close to the application grid. yes, it is not the same thing, but fills quite similar use case.

I blame my dad for my name. Not. :-)

Hartti

About the resolutions:
    Personally I categorize all phones with over about 800x400 resolution in the same group - high resolution. I agree that there are phones which have more pixels on the screen than N9, yes.
    This was one of my smaller points, as said. And you're right: it's an opinion question to some point. I haven't been able to witness the N9 in real life yet, so I can't comment much to this point. Maybe after I have one I'll be able to come here and be bitter about it; goddamnit I can see pixels in this screen!

The sales packaging seems to contain headsets without playback buttons
    The same kind that came with my current dumb phone, that has only one button that changes the track. I have never opted to use that button for anything.

When I said I found most of the suggestions in your message, I just meant that I read your message, but it was too long for me to go through sentence by sentence :-) yes, I am lazy.
    You god damn lazy man!

Here are 2 links to quite active meego forums (there are also other topics on these forums than N9)
    http://forum.meego.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3
    http://forum.meego.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
    These are the official MeeGo forums. But actually I couldn't find any rules that would forbid talking about hacks etc: thank you.

To me, pinning of the background apps feels close to the application grid. yes, it is not the same thing, but fills quite similar use case.
    So you are saying that instead of going to the OAV grid, I should go to the application grid and find my open application from that list, and press the icon there so it would send me to the open application? Another more simpler way to have some "better" management over the OAV grid would be to order them by the order they were launched and let us re-arrange them as we can our application icons in the application grid. I just see a lot of unnecessary searching ahead of me, if I jump between apps; they are never in the same spot twice in a row.

I blame my dad for my name. Not. :-)
    You think my kid would be forever bitter for me? Seriously, the name has an elegant sound to it. Like Kyllikki, but doesn't sound or look ridiculous.
    Last edited by JX3; 2011-07-26 at 18:31.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by JX3 View Post
    The same kind that came with my current dumb phone, that has only one button that changes the track. I have never opted to use that button for anything.
    There are headsets with proper playback buttons as well, I just do not know why the sales package includes one without them :-(

These are the official MeeGo forums. But actually I couldn't find any rules that would forbid talking about hacks etc: thank you.
    As you can see, there are quite a few discussions about different hacks in there already (landscape home screen, trying to run binaries directly, etc)

So you are saying that instead of going to the OAV grid, I should go to the application grid and find my open application from that list, and press the icon there so it would send me to the open application? Another more simpler way to have some "better" management over the OAV grid would be to order them by the order they were launched and let us re-arrange them as we can our application icons in the application grid. I just see a lot of unnecessary searching ahead of me, if I jump between apps; they are never in the same spot twice in a row.
    I see your point. Maybe I have already adapted to the UI framework so I do have not experienced frustration about it. Hard to say.

You think my kid would be forever bitter for me? Seriously, the name has an elegant sound to it. Like Kyllikki, but doesn't sound or look ridiculous.
    No, he will not be bitter. He will have problems with people spelling his name incorrectly both in Finland and abroad, though :-)

Hartti a.k.a Martti a.k.a Harrti/Harti/Hartii/Haarti/Hardy/Ardy/e.t.c.

Thanks for your answers/time!

No, he will not be bitter. He will have problems with people spelling his name incorrectly both in Finland and abroad, though :-)

Hartti a.k.a Martti a.k.a Harrti/Harti/Hartii/Haarti/Hardy/Ardy/e.t.c.
    Haha. But that's just a good conversation starter? If he's anything like me, it'd do only good for him.

edit:
    I see your point. Maybe I have already adapted to the UI framework so I do have not experienced frustration about it. Hard to say.
    I'm jealous :<
    Last edited by JX3; 2011-07-26 at 22:30.