Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Contributor

Maps API will be supported on devices running Mango

Hi all,

This would be good to know for the future use cases; the current Ovi Maps API will be supported in
    the oncoming devices. Some changes for code may be needed, also some dedicated features may
    be implmented - we will get more information and details on this during the coming months.

Best,
    Marko
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR][I]Marko Lumivuori
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330
    [email]marko.lumivuori@nokia.com[/email][/I][/FONT]

Re: Maps API will be supported on devices running Mango

Hi,
    I don't know Ovi Maps API support, But in Windows phone 7 and mango its conform Bing Map API support,
    use Dll
    Microsoft.Phone.Controls.Maps.dll

When using Bing Map then application required Credentials Provider Key means “Map APIs Keys”.
    Below fallow the link, After open URL the required user ID and password then submit open next page click Map APIs -> Create or view keys and next fallow step.
    https://www.bingmapsportal.com/Account/Details/1072470

Ovi Maps API support for Mango

Hi,

Isn't the Ovi Maps JavaScript API not supported for Mango. I have tried last two days using it. It renders just fine on IE on the desktop, and on mango device it does not render the tiles. It just shows a dark rectangular image not a map. Whereas the google maps API renders just fine.

Thanks for any insights.

--vsa

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Ovi Maps API support for Mango

it could be that some parts of the javascript or other technology things requires by the Ovi Maps JavaScript API are not supported by the browser on the mobile you tried. Basically this API was designed for mobiles, but mainly to be used with desktop browsers.

Nokia Developer Expert

There was some update yesterday - maybe it has the new ie9 in it - that could solve your problems.

Super Contributor

Hi all,

I have recent information from the Maps team and they just verified back to me the Maps JS API will most certainly be running on Mango.

We will receive more exact details later, and when we do I will update this thread.

Best,
    Marko
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330

Is now API Maps API supported on WP7.5?

Super Contributor

Hello Wrda,

I have a question in about this towards the Maps team right now. I will let you know as soon as I have received their response.

Best,
    Marko
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330

Super Contributor

Hello again!

I have this awesome news from the Maps API product manager I am happy to share with you all !!!

and I quote:

Good morning Ovi Maps API fellows,

As this is the day of Nokia showing there very new exciting phones at Nokia World in London, I'm happy to announce that there is a new version of this API now available at:

http://api.maps.nokia.com. This is the successor of the Ovi Maps API. Please bear in mind, that the Ovi Maps API is still fully supported! We will announce an official migration guideline in time.

Enjoy this new offering and give it a try. Please use this discussion board to state your comments even on the new one. There will be dedicated discussion board for all the location APIs coming soon.

Best regards,

Jan
    Direct link to the announcement is here: https://projects.developer.nokia.com...sion/topic/101

The browser support is listed by this new release as follows:

Browser Support

The Maps API is a multi-purpose and cross-platform API, targeting all JavaScript-enabled Web browsers, whether desktop or mobile, as well as all HTML5 environments (see the next section for information about HTML5 support).

Because the number of possible browser and platform combinations is too large, we limit our support to the following list of browsers:
    Browser Support
    Internet Explorer 7+ desktop, Windows Phone with Mango update or later on mobile*
    Firefox 3.6+ desktop
    Google Chrome 12+ desktop, Android 2.2+ on mobile/tablet*
    Apple Safari 5+ desktop, iOS 4+ on mobile/tablet
    Opera 10+ desktop and mobile*

* support does not extend all multi-touch gestures

This is not by default excluding the platforms listed down below, but if developing for an unsupported platform you should carefully test your application on the target environment. If you find any issue please file a bug in our Discussion Board.
    http://api.maps.nokia.com/2.0.0/devg...pportedBrowser

You can find the release notes and all the other information for the new 2.0.0 version here:

http://api.maps.nokia.com/2.0.0/devguide/overview.html

By this new release we will have the new http://api.maps.nokia.com portal with enhanced looks, code Playground and more examples to go!

Migration from the earlier portal http://api.maps.ovi.com happens timed and we will give more information about this later.

New users are encouraged to start using the 2.0.0. right away, as it is also faster and supports HTML5 canvas rendering.

All current applications referring to the http://api.maps.ovi.com will continue working until the end of the migration phase.

We are looking forward to see Your cool Nokia Maps creation! Explore the documentation and API reference, try the examples,
    and participate on the discussions on the Nokia Projects for Nokia Maps API. Your feedback is highly valuable and should you find
    any bugs, please do inform us!

Awesome mapping with Nokia Maps! =)

Best,
    Marko
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330

Hi all,

Currently I'm developing a WP7 app using Bing maps API, I want to shift to Nokia maps but before diving deep I want to clarify the following point.
    Which maps API is going to be used in future, Bing or Nokia ? or both ? I heard that Nokia maps is going to power the WP ecosystem so how is that going to be evolved ?

Thanks.

Super Contributor

Hello there,

The official message out is that Nokia Maps will be available on WP7 Mango Phones, the APPs Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive are available in the Market and bringing Nokia's outstanding mapping and navigation solutions on the WP7 platform.

Best,
    Marko
    Technical Support
    +358 40 8019330

Can anybody confirm me whether offline Nokia maps can be accessed through some API in WP7 app ? if yes can I get a pointer ?

Thanks
    Vishal

Hi,
    I have created an app for Mango phones that uses Bing Maps Control. I live in Croatia in Europe and I have realized that Bing Maps doesn't support search in Croatia I mean it cannot find many of the streets. It just says they don't exist. So how can I use Nokia Maps instead?
    1. Is there a NokiaMaps control for Windows Phone?
    2. If there is not how can I find Nokia Maps's Geocode and Serch functionality in Windows phone?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Currently there are no Nokia Maps APIs available for Windows Phones.

Hi symbianyucca. Thanks for your reply. Could you plase explain the title of this topic? What does it mean thaht maps Api is supported in Mango? Which part of it is supported?