Discussion Board

How to create a share plug-in

Hello there. I recently bought me an N8, and hope to start soon some first small steps to develop for it...

Is there some way to create an application that interfaces with the image viewer, the default "photos" application, getting listed on its "share" menu? How do I even start doing that?

Is this viewer completely based on Carbide.c++? i.e. Is it something totally completely unrelated to Qt? And is there really some kind of way to simply write a plug-in for that, or does it require a high level of hackery to archive this, making it easier for me to just write my own application from scratch?

Is there some kind of "hello world" for such plugins? I looked a lot for documentations, and found nothing.

Am I approaching something that would be easy if Symbian had been open-sourced as was planned, but now will be something totally cumbersome and full of red tape, and that I shouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole? And is it true there used to be an application that did just that but now it doesn't exist anymore?

Suppose I want to create a link there at "share" that copies the picture to a directory, something silly like that. Is it even possible or not?

Re: How to create a share plug-in

Oh my, this question must be either too lame, or this is an unreachable objective or taboo topic. OK, I get it. Develop new Qt stuff. E.g. if you want a camera and photo galley that you can easily create plugins, build your own from scratch using Qt. But all that using Windows, because the Linux SDK doesn't target Symbian. Message received.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to create a share plug-in

There is no problem with your question. However having a question does not mandate that anyone has done anything similar. I can not recall this topic being discussed in the Symbian C++ boards, so I do not suggest searching the DiBo, but there still may be something in the Wiki (I would not bet on that though), and you can access the ex-open source code from SourceForge, project 'symbiandump'. There you will certainly find the applications in some more or less recognizable file (like oss+FCL+sf+app+photos.hg or something similar), though the plug-in API is probably referred only, so it may require additional digging.
    .hg is the dump format of Mercurial (a revision control software), you can use the files as repository for its 'clone' command.
    I do not know Qt much, but yes, as I have heard Symbian target does not exist when you are using Mac/Linux.