Discussion Board

How to use SWT for J2ME Application Development in Netbean?

Hi Friends,
    I am going to crate good GUI for my mobile application. I just herd about SWT(Standard Widget Toolkit). Is it good for J2ME app. development GUI? I never used before this. Can any one give me advice how to create good GUI for application similar like NIMBUZZ using simple way. Please help me friends.
    Thanks to give me your time to read this question.

Super Contributor

Re: How to use SWT for J2ME Application Development in Netbean?

eSWT is supported in Nokia Devcies and you can read more about it here http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/ESWT and here http://library.developer.nokia.com/t...AE9A6CB5B.html

Also you may have a look at Lightweight User Interface Toolkit http://java.sun.com/developer/techni...e/lwuit_intro/

Regards
    Gopal

Nokia Developer Champion

Good UI for NIMBUZZ type of app can be build using LWUIT, its GUI builder can help you with UI design also.

Refer to http://lwuit.blogspot.com/2010/10/ne...-now-live.html
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I have tried eSWT for my music project on Symbian 5ed and Symbian^3...

The first thing to know is that eSWT is not included into J2ME, this is an extension given by Nokia to all the 3edFP2, 5ed, Symbian 3 and Symbian Anna... So if you want to develop some programs which run on several phones like Sony, Samsung it will not runs everywhere... Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't found in the eSWT implementation of Nokia the ScrolledComposite which is an essential component for me... Perhaps it is because it is not present into the eSWT which is the embedded version of SWT (for phone)... This component permit to have many component into a screen with a scroll... But you can take the source code (in SWT) of this component to use it into your mobile project. I don't test my program on a 3edFP2... It runs perfectly into 5ed but less good on Symbian^3... And runs perfectly into Symbian Anna... It is a good solution for me to define complex ui which are not permitted with J2ME base ui... The program will use the selected theme of the nokia phone (with the transitions if they are activated into the phone)... With eSWT, it is easy to construct ui directly with code... The last thing is that the code is easily reusable for a desktop SWT code...

I have tried LWUIT too and I was desappointed by the default theme (which is not the phone theme)... It is possible to create theme but it is wellknown that a good developper is not mandatory a good theme designer... But LWUIT will run on, I suppose, all J2ME phones... I don't know if it is possible to reuse the ui code to run on a desktop PC...

Bye