Discussion Board

Nokia Developer Expert

Stop installing it!

Hi,

Here is a silly problem: I tried to make a .sis file of a test app with Qt creator. That succeeded, but the .sis installation to a device failed as I do not yet have proper UID. That is still OK, but now every time that I want to debug the app in device, Qt creator starts the installation process again, which still fails of course. So now I can not debug in device anymore.

How to get the Qt creator forget the installation?

br, _perza

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Stop installing it!

How would you imageine on debuggin the application in a device without installing it ?

Nokia Developer Expert

Well, before the Creator IDE simply started the app in the device with no questions asked, now it opens the installer dialog in device, leading to installation failure. I do not have a clue of what is going on in there, so I can not describe it better.

Nokia Developer Expert

before it appeared to have no error, thus the installation was done silently in the background. So Can you try disabling the silent installation option, or find the sis file from the device and try installing it manually.

Anyway, before doing anything, please make sure the device language is English, then see what actual error note is shown for the installation, it usually helps on determining what goes wrong in there.

Nokia Developer Expert

Thanks for the advice, I will try that too.

Meanwhile, I created a new project and dropped the same qml files in there. Now the in-device debugging works again, in silent mode. So there is a "cure", but it would be nice to know what was wrong in the first place?

br, _perza
    Last edited by _perza; 2011-08-08 at 07:58.

Nokia Developer Expert

To know thw problem, you could try first with the steps suggested, after knowing the error, it is easier to know what to do next.

Nokia Developer Expert

Now there is a new problem with the initial project:

:-1: warning: The binary package 'C:/Users/pkontio/qt_apps/IJMMain' was patched to be installable after being self-signed.
    UID 0x20056D04 is not compatible with self-signing!
    Package UID changed to: 0xE0056D04.
    Use a developer certificate or any other signing option to prevent this patching from happening.

:-1: warning: The binary package 'C:/Users/pkontio/qt_apps/IJMMain' was patched to be installable after being self-signed.
    Executable with SID in the protected range (0x20056d04) detected: "IJMMain_patched_caps.exe". A self-signed sis with protected executables is not supported.
    Use a developer certificate or any other signing option to prevent this patching from happening.

Unable to patch the package for self-singing.

:-1: error: Automatic patching failed at C:\QtSDK\Symbian\SDKs\Symbian3Qt473\bin\createpackage.pl line 357.

It seems that the problem above, as well as the initial problems, are connected to a wrong kind of UID used in this project, even though changing the UID does not seem to help... Maybe there is a corrupt file or wrong build flag somewhere that blocks the pipeline for this project.

br, _perza

Nokia Developer Expert

Yep, you can not use 0x20056D04 UID which is from protected range with Self-signing certificate. Thus you should change it to be from correct range, or change your certificate.

Nokia Developer Expert

To wrap this up: I copied the UID from the new project to the initial project, and now the initial project again silently installs into device.

Thus the root cause seems to be a wrong original UID, which effect somehow sustained over several trials, even if I believe I changed it back already at least twice. But maybe there was some other parameter wrong at those times...

br, _perza