Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Nokia Developer Expert

Ovi Store Client Beta available for the N950

Hi all Nokia N950 Developer Device users!

An early access version of the Ovi Store Client for the N950 has now been released as an update. Your N950 device will find it automatically in about 24 hours, but the impatient amongst you can go to settings, applications and check for updates.

This update will complete the full end-to-end offering for you. You can develop your applications/content with the publicly available SDJK (Qt SDK 1.1.2). You can now see the layout and look and feel of your applications in OVI Store. Finally, you can share your apps on OVI Store to other users, as well as download and test what your colleagues have been uploading.

Most of the available applications will work on your N950 and existing publicly available firmware (1.2011.22-6). However, there are a few applications in OVI Store that are created with newer pre-production SDK that may fail to install in your device for now. These applications will work also on your device after we have the next SW update available (no dates mentioned here, sorry). If a downloaded application does not install, your download history in Ovi Store means that once you have the newer firmware you can download/install the application.

So, start submitting apps for the Ovi Store - share your work; users, start downloading applications and try them out - give the developers (and us) feedback.

Enjoy!

The N9 (and N950) team.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Ovi Store Client Beta available for the N950

Best news all week - Thanks guys

Brilliant news guys, well done....not showing up for me yet though when when i do manual refresh, hopefully in a few hours it will.

Cheers

C.

Brilliant news, thanx for sharing. Updated, found and now testing ;-)

Nokia Developer Moderator

Good news, thanks. Time to test it.

is there any information out there what do when the update throbber just keeps spinning and nothing happens? phone drops wifi after a bit, so it's safe to assume there's no traffic being sent through update client. phone is freshly rebooted.

Nokia Developer Expert

I have the same problem sometimes, patience might be required (something I lack).

Quote Originally Posted by lkraav View Post
    is there any information out there what do when the update throbber just keeps spinning and nothing happens? phone drops wifi after a bit, so it's safe to assume there's no traffic being sent through update client. phone is freshly rebooted.
    I rebooted after updating the new version of the Store app, and now it works.

Just wondering why am I seeing apps like "AduaVilla.it" with it's description in Italian on my English device. Will it be possible to filter out apps according to language used to describe the application? Obviously I'm not interested in non-English apps if I can't read the description or any other text!

Quote Originally Posted by lkraav View Post
    so after seeing Updater was refusing to even display installed packages today with a "No Software Installations" lulz-message, I rebooted the phone, did not enter a PIN, connected with wifi, pressed "check for updates" and Ovi Store client update actually did show up. and it works.

except that when I actually go to purchase something, I get thrown to signing in with Nokia Account, which i *still* cannot do. nor can I register a new account. /usr/lib/AccountSetup/bin/oviplugin is somehow able to check for existing e-mail addresses, but trying to log in or create throws an immediate "Service currently unavailable" message, regardless of what password I enter.

http://www.developer.nokia.com/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=234, reported about 40 days ago. there are other developers also having this issue.

Is this being rolled out per region or all at once, im in Ireland, can you let me know when it will hit us ?

Nokia Developer Expert

It is being rolled out globally, it might take some time for all the update caches to be updated though. We are estimating 24hours.

Good job...so a new FW is planned!!!
    Merry Christmas Tombola! available on OVI Store!
    SuperDaddy available on OVI Store!

QT VirtualKeyboard: http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/VirtualKeyboard?content=107388
    Crack Generator: http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/MosaicCrack?content=121832

Looks good - a bit tricky to get started (crashed a bit, eventually got it started then couldn't sign in to Nokia account). Rebooted which seems to have improved stability and have now signed in OK (stock N950, v1.2011.22-6_PR_RM680).

One minor nit: There is no "bounce" on the "Categories" and "My Stuff" views - this means that when you tap on an entry intending to slide up or down you always find yourself selecting the entry, even if you didn't mean to select it. The "Home" and "Search" views on the other hand both have "bounce" support, so it's an odd UI inconsistency within the app.

Other than that, it looks absolutely great, and I have successfully downloaded SystemInfo (but Compass fails). Many thanks!

The Store client doesn't work well with the account manager on my device... I have experienced two scenarios:
    1) After installing the client, my facebook app complained about account info missing. I had to delete then re-added the fb account.
    2) I accidentally clicked the "Forgot password" link in the Store client. It invoked the account manager page but after that the client went bad and I couldn't download stuffs nor see "My Stuff" page.

Also I would like to see two features in the client:
    1) Uninstall directly from the client... the package manager is too deep in the setting menu.
    2) Have an option to remember my password, or at least get-rid of the login step for downloading free content.

EDIT: After using it for a while, I realized it does eventually remember the account info. And now it works more harmonic with the account manager. Hope this interaction with account manager issue will be improved in the release fw.
    Last edited by sonyfever; 2011-08-19 at 02:38.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast