Discussion Board

Thread: Speed up Camera

Speed up Camera

I need to take a 640x480 Picture. I use the camerawrapper. Currently it takes around 2.5 Seconds from CaptureL to CapturedBitmapReady/CapturedDataReady with EFormat64K and 2.2 with EFormatFbsBitmapColor64K (which i'd prefer). That is both much too long for my application. Do you have an Idea how to shorten the time? Autofocus is already turned off. Maybe through exposure? What other Settings might have an effect?

Optimum would be to reduce that 2.2 seconds to something around 1 second. If the camera does any image processing, I can take care of, then I will do so. The simple point is that I need that image data earlier.

Re: Speed up Camera

Recently i had the Idea of using the viewfinder image instead, since 640x480 is a size the viewfinder can handle easyly, but the result is inacceptable.

Nokia Developer Moderator

How is it unacceptable exactly?
    You can try capturing video, without extra settings it will provide YUV frames at 15 FPS for most supported resolutions. For a quick preview you can use the Y channel directly, as grayscale image.

the quality of the viewfinder is just too bad. The picture is too noizy and unsharp.

I will try the video thing. I just wandered, why it takes over 2 seconds to take an image, while the built in camera takes much less for higher quality pictures. (i mean 640x480 is not much)

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi H0LL0

You did not mention the device you are working on? Most likely the device is optimized for capturing JPEGs, capturing bitmaps will make the data flow non-optimal. Also I don't know what exactly the camera wrapper does so you might be able to speed things up by using the CCamera (ECam) API directly.
    janza