Discussion Board

Angry What happened to screensavers in Symbian Anna?

What happened to screensavers in Symbian Anna? They have ceased to operate normally. Part that deals with notifications and screensavers works just fine. Second part which display the screensaver do not work properly. But there is internal problem, because there is no any notification about compability issue or any other notifications.
    As I know all "old" screensavers like multimedia and slide show was removed from symbian anna. Works only standard big clock (nokia) and sleeping screen.
    Versions:
    1. May be they risen compabilities required to start. Screensaver theoretically has access to display functions (mode changes) and may require MultimediaDD for it. But access controlled outside of the plugin and therefore it cannot cause any security problems.
    2. And big clock and sleeping screen written in qt and therefore every screensaver written in qt may work and screensaver server does now event been tested with native carbide screensavers. (but old ones screensavers has been removed from Anna).

May be someone has any information related to topic?
    Thanks.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: What happened to screensavers in Symbian Anna?

Can you explain in some sensible way on what the problem is ? Do you have an screensaver , that you made, which works with Symbian^3, but does fail on Anna ? And what does that have to do with Qt ?

Yes I had two screensavers which works fine with S^3. But it do not work after update to Anna.
    In a standard screensaver there is two parts. First part is part of which deals with registration and capabilities.
    It is functions

TInt CMyScreensaver::Capabilities() <- gives screensaver.exe way to know what kind of operations screensaver support. It is the way to configure screensaver (and get selection or preview notifications).
    TInt CMyScreensaver::PluginFunction(TScPluginCaps aFunction, TAny* aParam) <- overriden function on react to notifications.
    This part works before screensaver will display some information. When user selecting screensaver in settings and/or configure selected screensaver. This part still works.

Second part. this part works with drawing of screensaver. Host application create screensaver, then call
    TInt CMyScreensaver::InitializeL(MScreensaverPluginHost* aHost). and then should call TInt CMyScreensaver::HandleScreensaverEventL(TScreensaverEvent aEvent, TAny* aData) with notification aEvent = EScreensaverEventStarting.
    This part not work. Even initialize do not call. After creating instance of CMyScreensaver -> then something goes wrong and calls destructor of CMyScreensaver and any other screensavers can not be selected. It begin to select, when you close current session of settings application, and open it again.
    I think that between creation of screensaver and call to InitializeL there is something that leaves. But I do not know what is it exactly. And I do not know reason that lead to leave.
    I have two versions.
    One - reason of leave is missing of required capabilities (in terms of symbian).
    Two - reason of leave inappropriate format of screensaver (it is because as I know "big clock" and "sleeping screen" screensavers written using qt).

And I want to know what should I do to make it works. There shall be someone who can see to newest symbian anna source code and say, for example, - you should get multimediadd capability to your screensaver and it will works.

Nokia Developer Moderator

the problem appears to be that there is additional NetworkControl capablity that has been added to the screensaver process starting with Anna, thus any screensaver plug-in not having the capability will not be loaded.

However this is only a bit connected to this topic, are we able to create screensavers for Symbian 3, Anna, Belle in Qt Quick?