Discussion Board

OpenGL supersampling performance down

Did anyone else noticed how OpenGL supersampling performance went down on E7 since Anna update? Supersampling performance was not good before it's now hardly usable for most scenes except maybe the most basic ones.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: OpenGL supersampling performance down

Can it happen that supersampling actually has not worked prior to the update? (I do not know anything about the topic, but it would be a simple, thought slightly evil, reason).

I see your point. It was working quite nicely before though. Multisampling was never working faster than Supersampling and it isn't now either as far as I could tell. Graphically the difference between the two is also really hard to notice. However if you disable anti-aliasing altogether you really do notice the difference in performance and visual.

Performance drop seems to be related to multiple viewport usage. As soon as you have multiple viewports with FSAA you get a performance drop of 30%. If you switch back to single viewport it takes a while to recover the performance of single viewport. Hope there is still someone at Nokia in charge of OpenGL monitoring this forum.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by lenclud View Post
    Hope there is still someone at Nokia in charge of OpenGL monitoring this forum.
    I do not know, Flame (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...hp?49373-Flame) is/was the OpenGL expert around, but according to the profile, it has been a long time since his last visit.
    Janza (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...p?142691-janza) is the other graphics guru popping into my mind, but he is more about camera stuff as I understand.

Nokia Developer Expert

FSAA has performance penalty on N8/E7 and similar devices. As you mentioned original N8 SW had that viewport issue but it's now fixed in Anna.

If you are looking for more FSAA performance you should get one of the new 600/700/701 devices as those use tile based rendering and there is not so much performance penalty with FSAA if any.