Discussion Board

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Expert

Got a question? Ask Andrew...

Hi all,

Andrew from Nokia Publish Support here! If you have a question about publishing to the Nokia Store, feel free to post here for quick and fast answers.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Andrew

Re: Got a question? Ask Andrew...

Hi, i read the FAQs of ovi store but i have some question that left pending.
    Sorry but maybe because i don’t speak too much english i didn’t undrestood very well de FAQ

I undestand the delays in operator billings and credit cards too but i have other questions:

1 – The estimated revenue that i see in my account, is the estimated revenue of the publisher? or the estimated revenue in total of both: Nokia and publisher? (i mean 30% Nokia 70% Publisher)

2 – The threshold between estimated revenue and the real revenue is huge? can you give me an estimated percentage of difference?

3 – Are the payments (that i receive monthly) deducted to the estimated revenue that i see in my account?

I hope you understand me,

Thank you

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Flotron,

Quote Originally Posted by flotron View Post
    1 – The estimated revenue that i see in my account, is the estimated revenue of the publisher? or the estimated revenue in total of both: Nokia and publisher? (i mean 30% Nokia 70% Publisher)
    The estimated revenue shown in the Online Reporting tool shows the overall total revenue (Operator billing and Credit card) after the percentage cuts by Nokia. Note that estimated Revenue does not take into consideration certain influencing factors such as: data latency, currency exchange rate fluctuations, bad debt, amount pending from operator, refunds or returns.

2 – The threshold between estimated revenue and the real revenue is huge? can you give me an estimated percentage of difference?
    This fully depends on the proportion of operator billing transactions versus credit card transactions your content has generated. If your revenue consist of a larger portion of operator billing payments, it is likely you will see a large discrepancy between the payment received and the estimated revenue. Estimates do not account for the time delay between when your content is sold and when Nokia receives the funds for the sale of your content from various third-party billing providers which may take up to several months. Nokia will only issue these payments when we receive this amount from our operator partners.

Credit card payments take a month to clear and you should receive this portion in the following monthly payout cycle. Hence if your revenue consists of mostly credit card payments, the discrepancy between actual revenue and estimated revenue would likely be lesser.

Note that the percentage cut for both operator billing and credit card billing is 70%. (Edited)

3 – Are the payments (that i receive monthly) deducted to the estimated revenue that i see in my account?
    Unfortunately no. The online reporting tool does not track the actual amount you receive and will not reflect the remainder of the amount owed. The Estimated Revenue figure should not be used for financial or accounting purposes.

Last edited by Andrew Nokia; 2011-09-08 at 17:51.

Note that for operator billing payments, the percentage cut for publishers is 60% whereas credit card payments is 70%
    From Ovi Support:

Operator billing revenue share update

Posted Jul 18th 2011
    The revenue share to publishers for content purchased from July 1, 2011 onwards through operator billing will be increased to 70% of net revenue. Previously the revenue share was 60%.
    - I hear a lot of versions here... i'm a little.. very confused. First this thing of the 60% or 70% of the operator billing cut for publishers?

- And about the question of the threshold between estimated revenue and the real revenue: i saw in this same forum that normally you get close to the 100% of the estimated revenue:

You will get close to 100% of estimated revenue, but it takes about 4 months due to the complexity of collecting payments from all those operators in so many countries.
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...l=1#post815814
    Last edited by flotron; 2011-09-08 at 01:10.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi Flotron,

My apologies. I have edited my response accordingly. The percentage cut for both credit card and operator billing is 30%. You will receive 70% of the actual revenue for both payment types.

You will get close to 100% of estimated revenue, but it takes about 4 months due to the complexity of collecting payments from all those operators in so many countries.
    This is correct. Overtime, the discrepancies between the overall estimated revenue and actual revenue will diminish; however, your monthly actual revenue will usually be lesser than the estimated monthly revenue as operator billing payments that have not been received by Nokia will be carried over to later payout cycles.

That is, if your estimated revenue shows 200 Euros and 50% of this amount is by operator billing for the month of August, you will receive the 100 Euros * 70% for the credit card portion at the end of September. Any unpaid amounts from previous months that have been received by Nokia will be added to this payment. It is likely that the remaining 100 Euros would be carried over to later payout cycles assuming that each accumulated amount exceeds the 100 Euro threshold.

Therefore your overall actual revenue should be closer to the estimated revenue in the long run. In the short run, these discrepancies appear more apparent due to the payment process for operator billing transactions.

Excellent, all understood now

Thank you Andrew

Andrew, could you please explain why developer share in Chinese market is very low? We are selling a 2 euro application to Chinese customers and estimated revenue is only 0,14 euros per application.

Hello Andrew,

I got one of application failed in QA due to something strange, they telling me that the metadata images doesn't match the installed application icon, this is not the first version of the application and it already passed the QA with the same metadata images and installed application icon.

And I'm not ready to waste another 7 days, plus I can't make a similarity between the promoting icon with people in it and SVG icon.

"Please check that the metadata stream icons and promotional images you submitted are correct, since they appear to not match with the file and other metadata"

Best regards.
    Nokia Asha applications [Price Point Policy] [Unlimited Updates] [Suggestions]: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/showthread.php?240423-Nokia-Asha-applications-Price-Point-Policy-Unlimited-Updates-Suggestions

Hello Andrew,

I've tried to figure out how popular our application is in the different markets in comparison to other apps (it is hard to know this just by downloads). To do this I've used regional web proxies to access Ovi store and this works fine. Is there a official way to do this somehow. I don't know if you've used itunes or app annie, but in similar manner.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by onedeveloper View Post
    Andrew, could you please explain why developer share in Chinese market is very low? We are selling a 2 euro application to Chinese customers and estimated revenue is only 0,14 euros per application.
    The reason why your estimated revenue is as such is due to the price point conversions and currency exchange rates. The billing matrix (found in the price point hint of the Ovi Publish tool) indicates that price point 2 maps to 2 CNY. Hence if you take 70% of that figure, you will end up with 1.4 CNY which converts back to ~0.14 Euros.

Note that this is a restriction imposed by the mobile operators limiting mobile content rates to 2 Euros.
    Last edited by Andrew Nokia; 2011-09-10 at 03:20.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ashraf fawzy View Post
    Hello Andrew,

I got one of application failed in QA due to something strange, they telling me that the metadata images doesn't match the installed application icon, this is not the first version of the application and it already passed the QA with the same metadata images and installed application icon.

And I'm not ready to waste another 7 days, plus I can't make a similarity between the promoting icon with people in it and SVG icon.

"Please check that the metadata stream icons and promotional images you submitted are correct, since they appear to not match with the file and other metadata"

Best regards.
    Hi Ashraf,

We would probably need to take a look at your content item to see where this has gone wrong. Can you email developer.support@nokia.com with your content item name and link and we will investigate this as soon as possible? This should not take 7 days to resolve.
    Last edited by Andrew Nokia; 2011-09-09 at 18:36.

Thank you Andrew, I already did.

By the way, the same problem happened before with me in a different application, and when I contacted Nokia publisher support they considered OK and passed the QA, but of course I lost 7 days to get my update published, the strange think is that in Publisher guide there was nothing telling the both metadata icon and application icon to be the same, and the important thing is that both should expressing the application purpose.

Best regards
    Nokia Asha applications [Price Point Policy] [Unlimited Updates] [Suggestions]: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/showthread.php?240423-Nokia-Asha-applications-Price-Point-Policy-Unlimited-Updates-Suggestions

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ashraf fawzy View Post
    Thank you Andrew, I already did.

By the way, the same problem happened before with me in a different application, and when I contacted Nokia publisher support they considered OK and passed the QA, but of course I lost 7 days to get my update published, the strange think is that in Publisher guide there was nothing telling the both metadata icon and application icon to be the same, and the important thing is that both should expressing the application purpose.

Best regards
    Hi Ashraf,

Can you please send me a private message or provide me with the subject line of your email so I can review your content? I will request for this to be included in the Publisher guide to avoid such cases from occurring. I do apologize for the inconvenience of this.

Last edited by Andrew Nokia; 2011-09-10 at 03:21.

Thank you Andrew, and thanks to all Nokia Publisher Support team,

I got contacted from Nokia Publisher Support and I got my application back in progress in top priority to get published.

My best regards to you and to all Nokia Publisher Support team, you are really may safety net.

Hello, I tried to publish the application in the Ovi Store, but was denied because the file did not pass the Ovi Store quality assurance. I received the following letter:

While processing your content we confirmed your application does not include a Qt Smart Installer. We require the use of the latest smart installer in your application. In order for us to continue processing your content through our systems, we require your assistance. Please repackage your application with the latest Smart Installer 1.1 (v0.46.0). This will help us prevent any unnecessary delays in the further processing of your content. For further information, refer to:
    http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._the_Ovi_Store
    To download the latest Qt smart installer, please refer to: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...er_for_Symbian
    Also, while processing your content we found your application does not include the latest packages for Qt SDK 1.1. In order for us to continue processing your content, please repackage and submit your application with the following:
    (0x2001E61C), 4, 7, 3, {"Qt"}
    (0x2002AC89), 1, 1, 3, {"QtMobility"}
    (0x200267C2), 4, 7, 3, {"QtWebkit"}

I compile the application in accordance with the Guides for S60 3rd Ed FP1 and 3rd Ed FP2, but the site says:
    Devices with limited Smart Installer support:
    All S60 3rd Ed FP1 (S60 3.1) and S60 3rd Ed FP2 (S60 3.2) Qt 4.7 is not supported on these devices. The Smart Installer can only deploy Qt 4.6 to them.
    I tried to use to compile Remote Compiler and there Smart Installer is not available for Qt 4.7.x too.
    How can I publish my QT application for S60 3rd Ed FP1 and 3rd Ed FP2 with Smart Installer, in accordance with the requirements of Ovi Store? Can the Smart Installer is attached to the already compiled application?
    I use Qt Creator 2.3 with Qt SDK version 1.1.3