Discussion Board

Hide/Unhide Application icon dynamically

I have a scenario where i want to show/hide application icon depending upon user's will.

I have made two sis files for this for example A.sis and B.sis.
    A.sis is main application it does not include registration file in sis package.

B.sis only contain A_reg file.

I could show/hide icon on installation/uninstallation of B.sis (manually).

But i couldnt install A.sis I guess because it does not contain A_registration file.

Please help me. How can i achieve this mean i want run A.sis without icon and if user selects show icon will install B.sis from A.sis.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Hide/Unhide Application icon dynamically

hmmm, so you actually know already the answer, thus why to ask ? .. i.e. you could have the registration resource file in separate sis file, which you could insyall/uninstall to handle the icon visibility.

1. Problem is A.sis do not include registration file so when i try to install and run that A.sis system error occurs.

2. If i include registration file in A.sis package and then install B.sis then update error occured.

3. To solve this i added a third C.sis which first installs B.sis (registration file) and then A.sis and unistall B.sis to hide icon but i have to keep three sis which i donot want to.

How can i acheive point 3 with two sis.

when you have errors, please state excatly when you are getting them and what are you trying to do, and how you have done it (step by step), also provide the actual error note shown.

A.sis

;Files to install
    ;You should change the source paths to match that of your environment
    ;<source> <destination>
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\A.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\A.exe", FR,RI
    "$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\A.r01" -"!:\resource\apps\A.r01"
    "$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\A_aif.mif" -"!:\resource\apps\A_aif.mif"
    "$(EPOCROOT)epoc32\data\z\resource\apps\A.mbm" -"!:\resource\apps\A.mbm"

Install A.sis -> System error occurs -> Installatoin is done even system error occurs -> But GUI does not appear as there is no icon so cannot run this application.
    Install A.sis again then install successfully and GUI is appeared

B.sis

If A.sis is installed then B.sis -> INstallation does not complete and update error occurs

"$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\A_reg.r01" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\A_reg.r01"
    Last edited by waziz40; 2011-09-09 at 09:20.

I'm really hoping that you have used more unique names in the files.. anyway, please first turn the english language on, so all menu's etc are in english.

then provide a step-by-step guide on what you are doing, and then write the exact error note shown to here.

There is no "System error" that would generally happen during installations, though your FR,FI exe should probably be added to be the last line in the pkg, just in case it would need any of the other files to work.

Also to check the panic code for any possible crash ther, please enable the extended panic code: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ded_panic_code

i am sorry if my problem description is causing inconience.

System error i guess is not becasue of installation.

as i have added FR,RI in pkg file so i guess it tries to run application right after installation but registration file is not available which cause problem in running application.

"$(EPOCROOT)Epoc32\release\$(PLATFORM)\$(TARGET)\A.exe" -"!:\sys\bin\A.exe", FR,RI

How can i run application after insalling.
    Applicatoin's pkg file does not contain registration file so there will be no icon. How to run application without icon.

Hope this time i am clear about the problem

FR,RI should work, thus please do read what I wrote, do the things I asked and answer the questions.

basically ofcourse users can not run the app, since there is no icon, and therefor I supposed that you would have another app handling the icon showing/hiding, and that other application would have icon, which with the user could run it.

If these things happen on S60 3rd FP2 or later, you can try enabling the extended installation error messages: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...er-debug-guide
    Two additional remarks:
    - the installer does not care about if you are installing icons, registration resources, etc. It is perfectly valid to install a single .exe file if you want that
    - FR,RI does not work with self-signing, it requires a developer certificate as minimum.