Discussion Board

Route Tool in Series 40 Emulator Platform (Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java Series 40)

Hello All,

I am trying to simulate GPS locational information through an external file [ either nmea log file or xml file containing latitude/longitude locational data ] and use that to be read by the emulator platform from my IDE running Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java (Series 40).

Trying to accomplish a simple Map example on the (Series 40) emulator that shows a marker updating its position(say every 3 seconds) based on the external file data (containing the locational data) I pass in.

I do know that there is a route tool in Series 60 that does something like this but am looking for a simple map example that provides the steps to pass in the locational data file (or data stream) in Series 40 based emulator(Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java).

Would appreciate if anybody has tried this (or knows how to go about doing it).

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Route Tool in Series 40 Emulator Platform (Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java Series 40)

Hello n2011a,

have you checked whether the Route Editor tool (which is delivered as part of the SDK emulator for Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java) provides solution for your issue?

The documentation regarding the Route Editor can be located and launched from the SDK's path: <SDK installation path>Nokia_SDK_1_0_Java\doc\DocBrowser\eclipse\eclipse.exe

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Re: Route Tool in Series 40 Emulator Platform (Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java Series 40)

I did see the Route Editor tool earlier but it did not even open [ as it kept saying in the console - "Route Editor Already Running" ] and I could not get access to it at all [ irrespective of whether I closed the emulator, restarted NetBeans or Eclipse, PC , installed it again etc ]. Maybe something to do with its setting in the registry. I tried it on another machine and the emulator seemed to pick up co-ordinates from the Route Editor, so I guess will go with this for now.

Thanks r2j7.

Also :

[1] Can I store the co-ordinates file in my own folder and access it via Criteria/LocationProvider instead of accessing it from coord.sps [ in GPS folder ]

[2] Was wondering whether I can have the input location data(latitude/longitude) read from a file as a stream into the emulator so that I can keep adding more data to the file simultaneously.

[3] In the Emulator->Tools->Preferences->Networking, can I use the "Use an HTTP Proxy Server" to stream in locational data [ latitude/longitude ] to my Midlet ?
    If not, what else can this HTTP Proxy Server be used for ?
    Last edited by n2011a; 2011-09-14 at 07:28.

Yes I did, thanks.

Any thoughts on the below issues ? [ having the cord.sps file stored and read from a different folder, streaming in location data into the emulator real-time and how the http-proxy server could be used for passing in location data into the emulator ]

Nokia Developer Expert

If not, what else can this HTTP Proxy Server be used for ?
    Proxy servers act as a security barrier for enterprise customers and companies. They monitor all traffic between the Internet (outside world) and the intranet (the company's network). The Emulator requires that the Http Proxy Server address and Port are set up in order to access the Internet if needed (e.g. http simulation), from within a corporate intranet.