Discussion Board

NFC and Flash Lite ?

Hello All,

Seeing that only Qt/Symbian C++, and JME have such now ,
    wanted to ask if there would possibly be any future API-support for NFC in the Flash Lite runtime ?

Thanks for responses in advance.
    - David

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: NFC and Flash Lite ?

Hi SoulBlade,
    Someone from Adobe Flash Lite development team may comment on this question but i don't think if any such Adobe Employee is here ? . However, you can always extend Flash Lite 4 via Symbian C++ . So,best of luck.

Best Regards,
    SajiSoft

Actually i'm abit curious, why does Flash Lite *always* lag behind JME in terms of native API support . Adobe doesn't seem to be putting so much focus on the runtime, and seemed to be more concerned about AIR for the Android and iOS platforms. Forgetting that Flash Lite is still quite relevant in parts of the world where there's not really a great penetration rate of higher-end phones.
    There's no AIR support even for phones of Symbian Anna. It's really sad.

Alot of the things (APIs) needed in Flash Lite are only available via extending it with one external language or the other or using platform services or something.

Extending it with Qt would be a better bet than using Symbian C++, sadly (in either of the cases) it'd imply having to learn Qt or Symbian C++. (well, there's QML - but one still would need Qt ).
    - David

Regular Contributor

It again raises the need of AIR support for Nokia smart-phones. We hope that Windows 7 would add support for AIR and Nokia devices would supoort AIR and we all can benefit.

It even shows in their Developer Libraries. Look how detailed (and constantly updated) the JME Developer library is compared to that of the Flash Lite; which has still been stuck at version 1.6.
    It's really sad how Adobe is handling things for this runtime. And it indirectly makes life hard for developers cause they have to painstakingly learn more stuff (e.g. new languages) to get simple things done.

Out of curiousity, i wanted to ask, what does it involve: building (from scratch) a mobile runtime such as Flash Lite ? i presume it was written in C/C++ for symbian devices (?)
    - David

Nokia Developer Champion

at least WRT's API could support the NFC and many other cool things...

I really don't understand... WRT and flashLite seems to me the friendliest medium for programming (fast and robust) and yet they have little support for the cool API's...

I'm webprogrammer and I have until now 30 apps on Ovi, got many apps to come too, but I want at least some camera API for wrt/flash (for AR apps), or at least sensor API's to read magnetometer and lightsensor...

anyway good for me because I still have many ideas with the functions available now...

Qt is looking good, but is not enough for me to take the leap... flashLite embeded in Qt could make me discover Qt, but flash won't load in webkit object, and other methods seems to complex for me...

Quote Originally Posted by shpe View Post
    Qt is looking good, but is not enough for me to take the leap... flashLite embeded in Qt could make me discover Qt, but flash won't load in webkit object, and other methods seems to complex for me...
    Hmm.. about that,. someone asked the same question at the Qt+Java Developer Days that was held in my country some weeks ago (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Event...ttraininglagos) - about flash running in Qt.

The trainer couldn't give an answer about it, . I was wondering, i haven't tried it myself yet though. but.. isn't it possible to experiment abit . i mean, if the device your working on has the flash lite runtime already installed in; (supposing it's the Flash Lite 4 runtime) couldn't you have an interaction between Qt's webkit Javascript class and Flash Lite's External Interface class ? -you know, for callbacks n stuff.
    Or in another complicated process -> maybe a Socket connection between Qt and Flash Lite - though that'd probably be *painfully slow* anyways
    - David