Discussion Board

Speed of Qt app on Meego

I have some Qt app that interact with calendar on the phone. It runs on Symbian^3 (Nokia N8) and Meego 1.2 Harmattan (Nokia N9). Both versions are identical (in code I mean).

I've noticed that some part of the app runs very slow on Meego, but normally on Symbian^3. The interesting thig is that when I start the app from IDE (Qt creator), everything works fine, but later when I close the app and start it manually on the phone - it takes 3-5 seconds longer to do the same. There's no data that application is left after the first run, so I don't know what can be the reason of this.

Maybe this is connected with debug/release mode and I should change it somewhere else exept "Projects" page in the IDE. I'm pretty new to Meego, so this is a problem for me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Speed of Qt app on Meego

Can you pinpoint the exact calls that seem to be slower ? Or is it just the startup ? There should be no difference in IDE vs on-device speedwise (if anything, on-device should be quicker).

Super Contributor

Hi,
    Actually the Qt SDK runs applications with a different user ("developer") than the one used by default ("user"); so since Calendar DB is stored in /home/$USER/.calendar, if "user" has a larger DB than "developer" and your code is not optimized, your app could run slower if launched by menu than by the SDK itself.

Thanks for the reply. But what do you mean by "larger DB"? There's a developer edition of Nokia N9, so it's pretty new and there're no data added to the calendar manually (I mean events).

UPD: I have also found that this happens in the constructor of QtMobility::QOrganizerManager and there's information about the DB is opened in the console, but I still don't get how two different users may have different calendar DBs on the brand new and "clear" device. Or maybe developer's data DB is some kind of lightweight due to this profile won't be used by usual user?
    Last edited by meandnano; 2011-09-14 at 07:03.

Super Contributor

Hi,
    Events could come from online services (eg: exchange, maybe skype or facebook). With "larget DB" I meant the physical size of the DB on the DISK.
    Calendar is not the only one user-specific resource.
    BTW you can check the size of the two DBs using "ls -h /my/file" in the device terminal or over ssh.
    Developer DBs are usually lightweight just because they are not really used by the system.