Discussion Board

How to Develop an application compatible for other than windows phone using .Net

Hi,
    i am basically a .Net Developer(C#), planning to develop an application to mobile phone using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.

As per my knowledge it is only bounded for only windows phone, but somewhere i heard that it can be made compatible for other phones also like samsung, nokia etc... phones.

Since i am Newer to this field please get me some suggestion how can i proceed further.

Thank in advance!!

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: How to Develop an application compatible for other than windows phone using .Net

No can do. The .NET Windows Mobile/Windows Phone apps will only run/work on Windows based phones.

There have been attempts to make compatible .NET runtime versions for other platforms, but Microsoft is not supporting such efforts, and they've never really taken off.

Of course, Samsung has already Windows based phones, as do many other manufacturers. Also Nokia will at some point have Windows based phones. Maybe even already this year.

Otherwise, for non-Windows phones by other manufacturers, you need to use other tools depending on the phone models you wish to target. For Nokia's non-Windows phones you can to some degree use Flash Lite, Java (Java Micro Edition) or Qt (C++) or Symbian C++ depending on which models you target.

Re: How to Develop an application compatible for other than windows phone using .Net

You can use Xamarin's (http://xamarin.com/) products MonoTouch and Mono for Android to develop and deploy iPhone and Android applications with C# (.NET)

Super Contributor

Might work for Desktop .net application but not Silverlite and hence not for Windows Phone 7