Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Exclamation Signed/Published Java-app does not have the right permissions; Causing malfunction

To those involved in Ovi Publishing and Signing Java Apps;

I have just recently gone through the QA process and have reached the point where the app is published on Ovi Store.

Though, when installing the app from the store (on a Nokia E7 in this case), the user is not asked for the appropriate permissions.
    In my specific case, GPS is needed, is asked for and works as expected.
    Though, the app should ask for a network permission each and every session, to go to either online, or offline mode. In my case, there is no prompt for network permission at all, resulting in the app going into offline mode in each and every case.

At first, when the app was published, I contacted publisher support by sending them an email, and shortly after, I removed the app from Ovi Store by pressing the Unpublish button, since it would not make sense to offer people an app that will not function correctly.

After I sent the email to publisher support, I resubmitted the application for QA, assuming my message would have been received and read and eventually processed by the time it would get republished.

About a day thereafter I did get an answer from publisher support, stating my message would be forwarded and investigated.

Which brings us to today, where I just got an email from QA, stating the app will appear on Ovi Store again, though - The issue has not been resolved yet.
    Having the app re-published shortly after the reply from support causes me some confusion.

From this point on, I'd like to know what my options are;
    - Should I unpublish the app again? (Since it does not work properly)
    - Should I send another request to publisher support? (Although I have an outstanding ticket)

And last but definately not least; Is there some way I could speak to someone in a more direct-fashion than emailing - since it seems to take a couple of business days each time to exchange only the most basic forms of information. This would be a great ammendment to support, and solve my frustration for the moment.

Thank you for reading,

Awaiting any reply,

Jasper

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Signed/Published Java-app does not have the right permissions; Causing malfunctio

Quote Originally Posted by JasperGoes View Post
    To those involved in Ovi Publishing and Signing Java Apps;

I have just recently gone through the QA process and have reached the point where the app is published on Ovi Store.

Though, when installing the app from the store (on a Nokia E7 in this case), the user is not asked for the appropriate permissions.
    In my specific case, GPS is needed, is asked for and works as expected.
    Though, the app should ask for a network permission each and every session, to go to either online, or offline mode. In my case, there is no prompt for network permission at all, resulting in the app going into offline mode in each and every case.

At first, when the app was published, I contacted publisher support by sending them an email, and shortly after, I removed the app from Ovi Store by pressing the Unpublish button, since it would not make sense to offer people an app that will not function correctly.

After I sent the email to publisher support, I resubmitted the application for QA, assuming my message would have been received and read and eventually processed by the time it would get republished.

About a day thereafter I did get an answer from publisher support, stating my message would be forwarded and investigated.

Which brings us to today, where I just got an email from QA, stating the app will appear on Ovi Store again, though - The issue has not been resolved yet.
    Having the app re-published shortly after the reply from support causes me some confusion.

From this point on, I'd like to know what my options are;
    - Should I unpublish the app again? (Since it does not work properly)
    - Should I send another request to publisher support? (Although I have an outstanding ticket)

And last but definately not least; Is there some way I could speak to someone in a more direct-fashion than emailing - since it seems to take a couple of business days each time to exchange only the most basic forms of information. This would be a great ammendment to support, and solve my frustration for the moment.

Thank you for reading,

Awaiting any reply,

Jasper
    Hi Jasper,

You may most definitely direct such general questions to me on the discussion boards. I monitor the boards very frequently and will be able to answer your questions very quickly.

Can you send me a private message and include your content item name? Please also provide the subject line of the email you sent us and your email address used to email the support team so I can extract the full history of this case.

Andrew

Re: Signed/Published Java-app does not have the right permissions; Causing malfunctio

Hello,

I have the same problem with my content (http://store.ovi.com/content/166370?). The program collects time data by entering text into the fields and pressing start/stop. In order to write an invoice or otherwise use the data on a computer it offers exporting the data to the memory card.

After publishing to ovi, all the program is doing is to write "Security exception javax.microedition.io.connector.file.read access denied. Without signing the application asked if the user wants access, now it right says that it is prohibited. In this way it is impossible to use the application for the purpose it has been made.

I know that "Quality" assurance is testing the programs, they have rejected it some times because something was not correctly displayed, now that everything is fine (in respect of java quality assurance) the program does not work. However the error message fits nicly into the screen without that function "quality" assurance would not be able to follow all points at the flow chart.

I am now arguing about one month with publisher support to give the application a certificate which does not prevent the application to export its data. All I get is some messages that the problem has been forwarded to someone, I also get lots of update messages that something changed in my item at ovi store but none of the updates work. I wrote how to re-produce the error, i uploaded a version to a secret web site and gave the address of the un-certified application and I gave a step by step instruction of how to re-produce the error (and how to see that the unpublished version does not fail).

Best regards

Thomas

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by tquester View Post
    Hello,

I have the same problem with my content (http://store.ovi.com/content/166370?). The program collects time data by entering text into the fields and pressing start/stop. In order to write an invoice or otherwise use the data on a computer it offers exporting the data to the memory card.

After publishing to ovi, all the program is doing is to write "Security exception javax.microedition.io.connector.file.read access denied. Without signing the application asked if the user wants access, now it right says that it is prohibited. In this way it is impossible to use the application for the purpose it has been made.

I know that "Quality" assurance is testing the programs, they have rejected it some times because something was not correctly displayed, now that everything is fine (in respect of java quality assurance) the program does not work. However the error message fits nicly into the screen without that function "quality" assurance would not be able to follow all points at the flow chart.

I am now arguing about one month with publisher support to give the application a certificate which does not prevent the application to export its data. All I get is some messages that the problem has been forwarded to someone, I also get lots of update messages that something changed in my item at ovi store but none of the updates work. I wrote how to re-produce the error, i uploaded a version to a secret web site and gave the address of the un-certified application and I gave a step by step instruction of how to re-produce the error (and how to see that the unpublished version does not fail).

Best regards

Thomas
    Hi Thomas,

I have managed to locate your original support ticket and am currently investigating on how to resolve your issue. I will revert back to you shortly.

Andrew