Discussion Board

Some devices won't list their files

Some part of my app requires that the user should browse through the FS and choose a file to interact with. Of course, this is done through the File API (JSR-75 if I remember correctly).

On most phones, it's working fine, but some just list the root folders (e.g. Images, MMC, etc.) and if one selects any of the root folders, they are all empty, even though they shouldn't be. And there's no exception of any kind being thrown.

Any ideas what could be causing it and more importantly if and how this could be fixed?

Thank you very much!

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Some devices won't list their files

Hello dumbledore1905,

can you specify more in detail regarding the following:

-which devices are you specifically referring to?

-can you provide your code on how you are accessing the file system and obtaining the folders?

Just a guess regarding 'some devices', in S60 devices there used to be virtual file system in place but this is not supported anymore in Symbian devices.
    More about this change in Java Developer's Library by Nokia (Java Developer's Library 3.9 > Implementation notes > (JSR-75) FileConnection API (Optional Package) > Runtime environment notes > Virtual file system in Symbian): http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...0BF44A5CB.html

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]

Thanks!

Which devices are you specifically referring to?
    Samsung GT B7722. I know it's not Nokia, but I've seen very little support from Samsung, whereas at this forum, there's people with general experience with Java Mobile, i.e. beyond Nokia phones.

Can you provide your code on how you are accessing the file system and obtaining the folders?
    I'm using the FileBrowser Class that comes with the Netbeans mobility pack. Here goes: http://pastie.org/private/fyutkuvyvjmrcmce48hq

Thanks so much!

Super Contributor

If the device manufacturer has decided to restrict access for JSR-75 APIs, then there's nothing that you or anyone here can do about it, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    If the device manufacturer has decided to restrict access for JSR-75 APIs, then there's nothing that you or anyone here can do about it, as far as I know.
    Thanks! I'm not absolutely sure it's has been restricted as there isn't a SecurityException being thrown, but the result is that there are no files listed.

Super Contributor

Hi dumbledore1905,

Two quick suggestions:

1. You need to describe the type of the data in those folders which are not showing the same. I remember I faced the same situation few years back.

2. List down the folders name and check if the same are of the device itself and access to the same on the few platforms might be restricted due to the security and probably you need to sign the app to get it worked, even this might not be worked.
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Quote Originally Posted by dumbledore1905 View Post
    Samsung B7722
    Samsung has integration rather than restriction problems. Somebody forgot to link something. Because Samsung has so many KVMs and own proprietary platforms, keeping them alive is quite challenging. Nevertheless, I just tried MobyExplorer on my Samsung B7722i and it works – although I own the i-variant. The memory card is on path Mmc/ and the internal storage is accessible via those well-known Photo/Video/Music … directories.

Thanks guys!

The problem was that the Mmc folder was showing but it's contents were empty. The same with all other folders. The files were of the type: .TXT, .HTML, .EPUB. Truth be told, I'm moving on from J2ME to WP7.5 so I'm no longer interested in this issue. Thanks for the help!