Discussion Board

Playing 1280x720 mp4 using CVideoPlayerUtility

Hello!

I am facing problem of playing HD video record using CVideoPlayerUtility.
    All is fine if resolution is 640x480 or less. Does not matter if it Symbian 9.4 or S^3 - videos plays perfect.
    But when I try to play HD video - it just closes. I am sorry, I cannot say error no and where it happens.

I just asking - may be somebody faced this issue and solved it? Could you please help me?

Thank you very much!
    Alexey

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Playing 1280x720 mp4 using CVideoPlayerUtility

when it is just closing, it is likely crashing,t hus do check the panic code for the crash: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ded_panic_code it would provably tell something about the problem already.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    when it is just closing, it is likely crashing,t hus do check the panic code for the crash: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ded_panic_code it would provably tell something about the problem already.
    Thank you! I will add more detailed log of course. I do not have phone with HD recording support, but I can ask people test. Guy who has i8910 - tells: player just closes. But owner of N8 - tells that player works ok in case of playing second file after first one was played in black screen. To play first video - I open it, call SetAutoScaleL(EAutoScaleBestFit) at MvpuoOpenComplete, call Prerare() and then Play(), then call Close() on MvpuoPlayComplete and again Open(), Prepare(), Play().
    This is strange that if resolution is 640x480 or less - all works perfect. But not in case of HD

feel free to try file based debugging and our RDA devices.

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    feel free to try file based debugging and our RDA devices.
    Thank you! I will think of RDA. Currently I added log info to player's code. I will see if it help to solve problem.

I am investigated behaviour of CVideoPlayerUtility while playing HD (1280x720):
    It is not stable and I cannot understand logics. I have succeed with playing 1280x720 few times. It was happen on second or third try of playing. Hovewer log says that in both cases MvpuoOpenComplete gives aError == KErrNone and other log info same for both cases.

Sometimes phone hangs. In this case - it happens right after Play() was called.
    Sometimes MvpuoOpenComplete returns aError == -12017 (KErrMMPartialPlayback)
    I cannot understand why it happens - I am using same code for 640x480 and 1280x720 videos.

Is there any secret or should I use partner program?

Partial playback probably means that only one of the video/audio formats are supported.
    Generally I would suggest you to simply open the file from the File Manager, this way you could easily check what plays and how.
    Unfortunately the RDA can not help much, since you do not hear the sound/lack of sound, and the video is probably not forwarded either (as it uses a separate rendering path than the one RDA can capture, at least as I know).

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Partial playback probably means that only one of the video/audio formats are supported.
    Generally I would suggest you to simply open the file from the File Manager, this way you could easily check what plays and how.
    Unfortunately the RDA can not help much, since you do not hear the sound/lack of sound, and the video is probably not forwarded either (as it uses a separate rendering path than the one RDA can capture, at least as I know).
    Thank you, but video plays ok with native real video player. Audio and Video channels are ok. I have only troubles with playing using CVideoPlayerUtility when mp4 has 1280x720 resolution.

I found one link: http://www.symlab.org/main/documenta...D5627155B.html
    May be CVideoPlayerUtility2 is a solution? Since s^3 has NGA - video should play on surface... However 640x480 works with CVideoPlayerUtility...

Finally I got it work
    I tried all things I think - CVideoPlayerUtility2 with surfaces, etc...

And after all - when it still was not working, I found this line in container ConstructL:

Window().SetTransparencyAlphaChannel();

When I commented it - 1280x720 started playing ok even through CVideoPlayerUtility without additional coding.
    It seems CVideoPlayerUtility work with surfaces (NGA) automatically.

So problem was only in setting transparency alpha channel...

I am sorry for that, but I hope this thread could be helpfull for someone else.