Discussion Board

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nokia Developer Moderator

Symbian Belle SDK (beta) released

A beta version of the Symbian Belle SDK has been released today on Nokia Developer. You can find it at https://www.developer.nokia.com/info..._One_SDKs.html

The SDK is recommended for maintenance work on your Symbian C++ / Avkon based projects. Its emulator offers the Symbian Belle look and feel, allowing testing your application's UI and adapting it to the new UI style guide (which is also documented in a PDF included in the SDK package).

For any new applications targeting the Symbian smartphones we recommend using the Qt SDK 1.1.3 (which includes a beta Belle target supporting Qt 4.7.4 and Qt Mobility 1.2) and the Qt/QML technology.

Please use this thread to ask questions regarding the Symbian Belle SDK (beta) release or to give any feedback related to the SDK content. As usual, remember to read first the release notes ;)
    Last edited by ltomuta; 2011-09-21 at 15:46. Reason: Typo
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Re: Symbian Belle SDK (beta) released

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Please use this thread to ask questions regarding the Symbian Belle SDK (beta) release or to give any feedback related to the SDK content. As usual, remember to read first the release notes ;)
    Bug report: if the EPOCROOT variable is not set, the emulator (epoc.exe) will start up with an incorrect screen mode, with screen contents and the emulator skin not visible. The effect is immediately obvious by the window launching in a wrong size. Interestingly, this happens regardless of the *contents* of EPOCROOT, so even "set EPOCROOT=x" will do.

Observed on Windows XP SP3. The effect does not occur with the Symbian^3 1.0 emulator, which starts up fine even without EPOCROOT being set.

Hehe, I installed the SDK and started the emulator without any problems a week ago or so. Now I checked if I have EPOCROOT, and apparently yes, somehow it got the extremely useful content, "poc32\tools\sbs" (without the quotation marks). It is a a Windows 7, x64 config, I installed the SDK with right-click + Run as Administrator.
    I guess poc32\tools\sbs could be also treated as a bug.

@mgrober9110 this is a known issue and as a workaround the SDK installer was supposed to set the EPOCROOT to point to this SDK. Looks like on XP this didn't work at all while @wizard_hu_ is seeing the variable set to some bogus value. On my PC (Win7, 64b) the variable was set to the right value
    Code:
    EPOCROOT=\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\
    SBS_HOME=C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\tools\sbs
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    I guess poc32\tools\sbs could be also treated as a bug.
    Confirmed. It had the same value here, so I guess this is another bug.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    @mgrober9110 this is a known issue and as a workaround the SDK installer was supposed to set the EPOCROOT to point to this SDK. Looks like on XP this didn't work at all while @wizard_hu_ is seeing the variable set to some bogus value. On my PC (Win7, 64b) the variable was set to the right value
    Code:
    EPOCROOT=\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\
    SBS_HOME=C:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\tools\sbs
    The variable was set to this bogus value on my machine, too (except for the pathname being garbeled, as @wizard_hu_ observed), so the emulator worked as intended initially.

However, setting this environment variable interferes with older SDKs on my computer that use devices.exe to select the SDK to use - this is not compatible with having a pre-set EPOCROOT. So I had to unset it again to use my existing SDKs, leading to the problem above - but it is good to know that this is a known issue. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mgroeber9110 View Post
    Confirmed. It had the same value here, so I guess this is another bug.
    Just driven by curiosity: prior to installing the Belle SDK, I already had an S60 3rd FP1 and a Symbian^3 SDK installed. What about you guys?
    (I could imagine that installing on a fresh OS without Symbian history may lead to different results, like Lucian's).

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    (I could imagine that installing on a fresh OS without Symbian history may lead to different results, like Lucian's).
    I wish my system would ever be clean, my usual worry is that my test results are corrupt by the many thinks I have to try and try again :) Anyhow, your findings are welcome.
    -- Lucian

Can't download any of the SDKs:
    https://www.developer.nokia.com/info..._One_SDKs.html
    Could you please mention the updated link?

Thanks!

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...-is-broken-404 suggests that the issue may be fixed.
    Can you download it now?

Things have changed in the f32file.h header, e32svr.h has gone and there is a macro, SYMBIAN_ENABLE_PUBLIC_PLATFORM_HEADER_SPLIT, which controls the inclusion of e32svr.h. Problem is, the default settings assume e32svr.h is still there so code including f32file.h does not compile.

Worse, this is completely undocumented in the documentation, and Google cannot find SYMBIAN_ENABLE_PUBLIC_PLATFORM_HEADER_SPLIT either. This developer website search function just hangs when searching for SYMBIAN_ENABLE_PUBLIC_PLATFORM_HEADER_SPLIT.

Details on what to do are needed ASAP.
    Sander van der Wal
    www.mBrainSoftware.com

And another problem, one of the worst possible: eikenv.h has disappeared. That is going to break almost all S60 apps.
    Sander van der Wal
    www.mBrainSoftware.com

And another include file has bitten the dust: e32uid.h.
    Sander van der Wal
    www.mBrainSoftware.com

Quote Originally Posted by svdwal View Post
    Things have changed in the f32file.h header, e32svr.h has gone and there is a macro, SYMBIAN_ENABLE_PUBLIC_PLATFORM_HEADER_SPLIT, which controls the inclusion of e32svr.h. Problem is, the default settings assume e32svr.h is still there so code including f32file.h does not compile.

Worse, this is completely undocumented in the documentation, and Google cannot find SYMBIAN_ENABLE_PUBLIC_PLATFORM_HEADER_SPLIT either. This developer website search function just hangs when searching for SYMBIAN_ENABLE_PUBLIC_PLATFORM_HEADER_SPLIT.

Details on what to do are needed ASAP.
    SYMBIAN_ENABLE_PUBLIC_PLATFORM_HEADER_SPLIT comes from the times that OS's structure was altered to better suit Symbian Foundation's open source structure. So really old news. The files are still in the SDK (see paths below) but your project needs a macro added to the MMP file...

And another include file has bitten the dust: e32uid.h.
    c:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\include\platform\e32uid.h

And another problem, one of the worst possible: eikenv.h has disappeared. That is going to break almost all S60 apps.
    c:\Nokia\devices\Nokia_Symbian_Belle_SDK_v0.6\epoc32\include\mw\eikenv.h
    -- Lucian

:S, I have started installing the SDK to check, but it is not done yet :S

Svdwal: apparently you have skipped the Symbian^3 SDK, where this epoc32\include restructuring happened. In this case note that there are helper macros collecting the "typical" locations which you can use instead of locating the files one-by-one. Check epoc32\include\variant\platform_paths.hrh, for example APP_LAYER_SYSTEMINCLUDE. Usage:
    replace
    Code:
    SYSTEMINCLUDE \epoc32\include
    with
    Code:
    #include <platform_paths.hrh>
    APP_LAYER_SYSTEMINCLUDE
    in the .mmp file.