Discussion Board

Thread: Qt app signing

Nokia Developer Champion

Qt app signing

Hi,
    This is for the first time I am signing a Qt app , so need some suggestion.
    I have followed some steps based on my symbian C++ signing concept but getting either
    "Cannot install a protected application from untrusted supplier" or "Unable to install. Constrained by the certificate." error message.

i got few links but bit confuse which to follow
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu..._the_Ovi_Store
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...bian_Signed%29
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...er_for_Symbian

1. What I want is how do I sign my app for certain IMEI with the Dev Cer as I used to do in Symbian C++ app
    2. How can I Express sign the app from symbian signed web site, can I express sign the app without the Smart Install?
    3. Do I need to add the smart Installer while submitting to the Ovi

Please suggest me

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Qt app signing

when I change the UID with the protected UID form symbian signed then I am getting the above error.

For Dev Signing I have followed the process, please let me know if that is a correct one
    1. Added the IMEI of the device to symbian signed
    2. Added the Key pair in Custom Certificate of Project icon.
    3. Leave the default UID of the app, ( UID is not changed)
    4. Build and Run -> sis file is generated

For Express signing without smart Installer
    1. Replace the UID with the Protected UID form Symbian signed
    2. Generated sis file using Qt creator with Not signed option selected from project icon
    3. sign the sis file with signsis command and Publisher key pair
    4. Upload the sis file for Express signing to Symbian signed

Please let me know if these process are correct

Nokia Developer Moderator

basically you would sign sis files always the same way, and the errors are same. "Cannot install a protected application from untrusted supplier" means that you are trying to install applciation that would need to be symbian signed with only signed with self-signing certificate. "Cannot install a protected application from untrusted supplier" means that you are trying to install a sis file that is developer certificate signed to a device which is not included in the certificate, or the UID used in the sis is not included in the certificate.

With Qt, you would actually need to sign the application sis file first, then wrap that sis file with teh Smart installer, and then sign that sis file again.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by symbianyucca View Post
    basically you would sign sis files always the same way, and the errors are same. "Cannot install a protected application from untrusted supplier" means that you are trying to install applciation that would need to be symbian signed with only signed with self-signing certificate. "Cannot install a protected application from untrusted supplier" means that you are trying to install a sis file that is developer certificate signed to a device which is not included in the certificate, or the UID used in the sis is not included in the certificate.

With Qt, you would actually need to sign the application sis file first, then wrap that sis file with teh Smart installer, and then sign that sis file again.
    so if I want to Express sing, then do I need to sign twice, once for app and then with the smart installer?
    If I dont add the samrt Installer then do I need to follow step 2 in post #2

Nokia Developer Champion

does it mean that if I add protected UID then I can't sign it with the Dev Cer or Self-signed.

Do I need to make any changes in the pkg file manually, cause as far i know even if I make any changes in the pkg file it will not get reflected, what ever we need to change in the pro file.

basically same signing rules apply, thus if you use protected range UID, you can not do self-signing. Note that since june 2011, the certificate also checks that the UID is from the signing account. Thus do check that you do use only UIDs that are currently alloced under your symbian aigned account, and that account is the same one you are planning to use for the final signing.

Each sis file needs to be signed, thus you do need to sign first the application sis file that would then get installed by the smart installer, and you do also need to sign the final sis file which is warpping your application sis file with smart installer, since that sis file could not be installed without it being signed.

Nokia Developer Champion

I have observed one more thing.
    I got a new protected UID from Symbian Signed and then downloaded the Developer Certificate key pair.
    Added the Cer key pair in Qt Creator Custom Certificate and then hit the Run button.
    This generates the sis file and also the sis file gets installed on the device ( tested on two devices)
    But the app is not starting getting and error message
    Could not start application: General OS-related error

But the same process works if I don't change the default UID of the project.

chekc the actul panoc for the crash: http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...ded_panic_code