Discussion Board

What is the correct steps to develop Qt Symbian App?

Hi all,

I am new to develop Symbian App, I found that I am quite confused in development.
    If anyone could help me I would be very appreciated =]

1. Can I run compile / run a program to symbian devices under Mac?
    2. Because the newest Qt version is 4.7.3, and I want to support Symbian^3, should I use Qt 4.7.3?
    3. Is there any ways to install newest qt on a Symbian^3 devices automatically when the users install my app?

Thanks a lot!!

Super Contributor

Re: What is the correct steps to develop Qt Symbian App?

1. Not fully. E.g., the emulator requires Windows, and for building installation packages, you need to use the "remote compiler" that runs on a Nokia server somewhere. The full set of Symbian tools are Windows-only.

2. For Symbian^3 devices, use Qt 4.7.3.

3. If you package your app using the Nokia Smart Installer, then the Smart Installer will upgrade Qt components if/when required when your app is installed on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    1. Not fully. E.g., the emulator requires Windows, and for building installation packages, you need to use the "remote compiler" that runs on a Nokia server somewhere. The full set of Symbian tools are Windows-only.

2. For Symbian^3 devices, use Qt 4.7.3.

3. If you package your app using the Nokia Smart Installer, then the Smart Installer will upgrade Qt components if/when required when your app is installed on the phone.
    I used remote compile together with Smart Installer, and I put the compiled sis to the phone and try to install.
    it downloaded Qt at the first time, but if I tried to install it at the second time, the phone stucks at "Preparing Installation"
    Have I done anything wrong?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by joshua4d View Post
    I used remote compile together with Smart Installer, and I put the compiled sis to the phone and try to install.
    it downloaded Qt at the first time, but if I tried to install it at the second time, the phone stucks at "Preparing Installation"
    Have I done anything wrong?
    No you have not done anything wrong ideally the "Preparing Installation" should complete faster .. but due to more then once issues your network & others it might take time or fail some times.

What is suggested is you disable SmartInstaller creation while developing to speed up the installation process. Enable when you are ready for uploading to OVI / external party

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    No you have not done anything wrong ideally the "Preparing Installation" should complete faster .. but due to more then once issues your network & others it might take time or fail some times.

What is suggested is you disable SmartInstaller creation while developing to speed up the installation process. Enable when you are ready for uploading to OVI / external party
    Thanks for your reply.

Currently, I am using Nokia E7 and C7 to try Qt Quick Demo (BatteryStatus), unfortunately it shows nothing when I run the app
    the build is using Qt 4.7.3

Any ideas?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by petrib View Post
    The Qt SDK does not include a Symbian emulator, but the Qt Simulator which does work on OS X as well. But indeed, for device builds you need to use the Remote Compiler.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua4d View Post
    Thanks for your reply.

Currently, I am using Nokia E7 and C7 to try Qt Quick Demo (BatteryStatus), unfortunately it shows nothing when I run the app
    the build is using Qt 4.7.3

Any ideas?
    Do you have Qt 4.7.3 and Qt Mobility 1.1.3 installed on your phones?. You can verify it using the QtInfo application. Other than that, you have to give us some more info about what really happens on that device when you start the app.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Do you have Qt 4.7.3 and Qt Mobility 1.1.3 installed on your phones?. You can verify it using the QtInfo application. Other than that, you have to give us some more info about what really happens on that device when you start the app.
    Hi, after installed QtInfo, I found that I have Qt 4.7.3 but not Qt Mobility 1.1.3 on the phone. In fact, will smart installer install Qt Mobility on the phone??
    Or do I need to install it manually?

Super Contributor

If your application has dependancy ( you have added CONFIG for Mobility in your application pro file) then smart installer will install it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by skumar_rao View Post
    If your application has dependancy ( you have added CONFIG for Mobility in your application pro file) then smart installer will install it for sure.
    Oops...I just found that it had Mobility 1.2.0 installed, but still it can't show anything in the app..
    In fact, I just have one QML file (main.qml):

Code:
    import QtQuick 1.0
    import com.nokia.symbian 1.0

Window {
        id: window
    	Rectangle {
    		width: 360
    		height: 640
    		color: "red"
    	}
    }

Nokia Developer Moderator

You are using Qt Quick Components, and that is yet another package you must ensure that it does exist on device, or that Smart Installer installs after a correct dependency is declared in the application ( CONFIG+=qt-components should do it)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    You are using Qt Quick Components, and that is yet another package you must ensure that it does exist on device, or that Smart Installer installs after a correct dependency is declared in the application ( CONFIG+=qt-components should do it)
    I have checked that I have CONFIG += qtquickcomponents in the application
    Or should I also add CONFIG += qt-components?

Super Contributor

You should add this :
    CONFIG += qt-components
    regards,

Quote Originally Posted by rahulvala View Post
    You should add this :

regards,
    I see, Now I can compile the app in Mac and install the app into the phone remotely, thanks~

But currently I am trying to use Windows XP to build the project and start debugging on the phone,
    Unfortunately, it fails to build, it said it can't find QDeclarative and QApplication

Does anyone get these errors before?