Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question How to install an application silently in symbian^3?

hi , i am creating an application that contains another sis file,
    i want to install the second app silently
    i am using xqinstaller to accomplish that..the link is the following for the example
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...lication_in_Qt
    it is working on 3rd and 5th edition but when i try to use it on symbian^3 it fails
    how can i fix that?
    thank you in advance
    Rondo

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: How to install an application silently in symbian^3?

The same API works all the time, just make sure that the SIS file you are attempting to install is properly signed.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    The same API works all the time, just make sure that the SIS file you are attempting to install is properly signed.
    hi ltomuta, my sis file that i am attempting to install is signed and working properly and running on feature pack 3 and 5 devices .
    my problem is only on symbian^3 devices
    i read a comment on symbian forum by wizard_hu_ for the same prob in symbian saying that "The same API-s exists, just there is no plug-in pack (yet?) "and about "copy the missing files into the SDK. "
    you can check the discussion here
    http://www.developer.nokia.com/Commu...700#post860700
    where i posted there before posting here.
    thank you for any help

Nokia Developer Moderator

This has nothing to do with the existence of the API. If you have built your application then you have had [a version of] the API and the expectation is that it should work (within the limits of binary compatibility, of course).

Now, there's only one thing that you can do, and that is to debug your application and see what works and what doesn't, and where the error may be coming from. The error code or, in case your application crashes, the panic code gives you much of the info you need to solve the problem.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    This has nothing to do with the existence of the API. If you have built your application then you have had [a version of] the API and the expectation is that it should work (within the limits of binary compatibility, of course).

Now, there's only one thing that you can do, and that is to debug your application and see what works and what doesn't, and where the error may be coming from. The error code or, in case your application crashes, the panic code gives you much of the info you need to solve the problem.
    hi again;
    i tried to debug my application when using symbian ^3 devices, no panic code is there, the app is always entering the case XQInstaller::UnknownError: and giving me the message Box Unkown error ,error in installation
    so i didnt figure out the origin of my error since the error is unkonwn!!!
    any advice what should i do here to solve that problem? i tried it on N8 and E7 with the same error case
    Thank you
    Rondo