Discussion Board

Hybrid View

QA Failure questions.

I just submitted my first app and it got approved for most of the devices, but failed for a few others with some issues. One of the issues was that they JAR file was too big for a few devices. This is easy enough to solve, but I'm not sure how to add a separate file for those devices. I see the area to add a file, but if i go to the distribution link to select only the devices that need the smaller JAR, it is showing me the devices that I selected for the first file, along with a status of passed. If I submit a new file, do I change the selections to only the smaller devices, or will that remove support for the first file for devices that can handle it?
    Next, in the comments section there are issues, and there are notes. What is the difference? I had assumed that since I tested it on an s60 3rd edition, it was safe to assume it worked on all future versions. One of the notes said that I must test it on each edition. I can use the RDA to do that, but the confusing thing is that in the QA details it shows the app having passed for several of the families it said that I needed to specify fully tested for. So is a 'note' just a keep it in mind for next time kinda thing, or do I need to resubmit after testing on those devices?
    And lastly, the on screen keyboard wasn't disabled for some of the touch devices. They say that the fix is to edit the JAD file. Can I do that with the existing JAR that has already been approved without any negative side effects to non touch devices? Will editing the JAD file for that version of the app remove it from sale until it is approved again?
    This process is really confusing to me coming from an iPhone, Android, WebOS background but hopefully I'll get all of it figured out and things will go much smoother should i decide to create a second app for Ovi.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: QA Failure questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperialPenguin View Post
    I just submitted my first app and it got approved for most of the devices, but failed for a few others with some issues. One of the issues was that they JAR file was too big for a few devices. This is easy enough to solve, but I'm not sure how to add a separate file for those devices. I see the area to add a file, but if i go to the distribution link to select only the devices that need the smaller JAR, it is showing me the devices that I selected for the first file, along with a status of passed. If I submit a new file, do I change the selections to only the smaller devices, or will that remove support for the first file for devices that can handle it?
    There should be a unique distribution link for each content file that you upload. I'm concerned this may be an issue with your particular content item. Can you send me a private message with your content item link and publisher name so I can investigate this further?

Next, in the comments section there are issues, and there are notes. What is the difference? I had assumed that since I tested it on an s60 3rd edition, it was safe to assume it worked on all future versions. One of the notes said that I must test it on each edition. I can use the RDA to do that, but the confusing thing is that in the QA details it shows the app having passed for several of the families it said that I needed to specify fully tested for. So is a 'note' just a keep it in mind for next time kinda thing, or do I need to resubmit after testing on those devices?
    Once again, I'll have to assess your content item in order to find out the actual problem. For each family of devices, you will need to mark at least one device as "Fully Tested" before the QA team will process your application on that platform.

And lastly, the on screen keyboard wasn't disabled for some of the touch devices. They say that the fix is to edit the JAD file. Can I do that with the existing JAR that has already been approved without any negative side effects to non touch devices? Will editing the JAD file for that version of the app remove it from sale until it is approved again?
    You may edit/re-submit your content item at any point after your application has been published. If your content has already been published on the store, editing your content will not remove the published version. Once the new update has been processed by the QA team, this updated file/metadata will replace the current published version on the store.

This process is really confusing to me coming from an iPhone, Android, WebOS background but hopefully I'll get all of it figured out and things will go much smoother should i decide to create a second app for Ovi.
    I hope this clarifies the publishing process for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Andrew