Discussion Board

Thread: what is CLDC?

what is CLDC?

sorry for the newbie post, but what does CLDC stand for and why would I use it?

Regular Contributor

RE: what is CLDC?

CLDC stands for Connected Limited Device Configuration.

This is description is taken directly from Sun's web site...

URL = http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/j2me/cldc/

"The Connected Limited Device Configuration (CLDC) is one of two configurations defined through the Java Community ProcessSM to be part of the JavaTM 2 Platform, Micro Edition (J2METM). CLDC is the foundation of the Java runtime environment that targets small, resource-constrained devices, such as mobile phones, personal digital assistants, and small retail payment terminals.

At the heart of CLDC is Sun's K virtual machine (KVM), a virtual machine designed from the ground up with the constraints of inexpensive mobile devices in mind. Named to reflect that its size is measured in the tens of kilobytes, CLDC is suitable for devices with 16/32-bit RISC/CISC microprocessors/controllers, and with as little as 160 KB of total memory available -- 128 KB of which is for the storage of the actual virtual machine and libraries themselves.

Combined with a set of device specific Java APIs, such as the Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP), CLDC provides a complete J2ME runtime environment for small resource-constrained devices. "