Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Where to store pictures?

Hi,

I want to store pictures on a S40 device (C3-01 and X3). Using the system property
    Code:
    System.getProperty("fileconn.dir.photos")
    works fine on all my devices, but Ovi Store QA complains that the files cannot be saved to "file:///C:/predefgallery/predefphotos/" (which is returned by the above property). Where is the correct location to store pictures to which works on all devices (resp. with signed Java ME applications)?

Regards,

Regular Contributor

Re: Where to store pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by pixsta View Post
    Hi,

I want to store pictures on a S40 device (C3-01 and X3). Using the system property
    Code:
    System.getProperty("fileconn.dir.photos")
    works fine on all my devices, but Ovi Store QA complains that the files cannot be saved to "file:///C:/predefgallery/predefphotos/" (which is returned by the above property). Where is the correct location to store pictures to which works on all devices (resp. with signed Java ME applications)?

Regards,
    you can use System.getProperty("fileconn.dir.memorycard") to store pictures.it will work on all devices,but presence of memory card is compulsory.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by pradip7 View Post
    you can use System.getProperty("fileconn.dir.memorycard") to store pictures.it will work on all devices,but presence of memory card is compulsory.
    Instead of "is compulsory", I imagine you meant "is not compulsory" or "is optional" as all devices do not have a memory card slot, and even when they do, the memory card might not be present.

Regular Contributor

But this does not really help me as my app will then only work with an inserted SD card.
    I also don't understand why "System.getProperty("fileconn.dir.photos")" does not work - almost every reference/tutorial suggests to use this and it also works fine on my test devices.
    Perhaps it has something to do with signed Java jars? Would it be possible to test this without an expensive Thawn java certificate?

Super Contributor

There's probably no guarantee that all devices have a writable location, or that the default photo location is writable from Java.

In any case, it should work on most Nokia phones, I assume. If it doesn't, then ask the Ovi Publish QA to specify which phones it doesn't work on, and then exclude those.

You can also test your app on a bunch of Nokia models using RDA: https://www.developer.nokia.com/Devi...device_access/

You don't need any Thawte certs. Note that Nokia will sign your app for Ovi Store for you.

Regular Contributor

Thanks. I will investigate this again.
    Last edited by pixsta; 2011-10-05 at 06:14.

Super Contributor

Send email to the publisher support, with the relevant details (your info, your content info/ID, devices you've tested it on, and you wish to be supported for, the QA response, and ask for an explanation); perhaps it is just a QA-side mistake.