Discussion Board

SDK 1.0 Location Issue

Hi

I am using the Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java to develop apps for the Series 40 6th Edition, Feature Pack 1 platform. My test device is the C3-01 (one of the very few FP1 devices already available here in the UK). I presume that this uses the Java Runtime 1.0.0 but I can't find a definitive answer to that.

My problem is that when testing an app that requires the user's (approximate) location, the C3-01 only supplies the Location Provider that requires GPS over Bluetooth. I don't have this and want the 'phone to default to Cell-ID location instead. However, I can't find a way to achieve this either programatically or via the 'phone's own settings.

I have tried using LocationUtil.getLocationProvider to restrict the choice of Location Provider but get 'Invalid Application' every time. If I try to use the 'com.nokia.mid.cellid' system property it always returns 'null'.

I can't believe that the new SDK Location API features aren't actually available on the only 'phone that I can use for testing them.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: SDK 1.0 Location Issue

Hi and welcome to Nokia's Discussion Boards,

Unfortunately, the "com.nokia.mid.cellid" System property for your phone, is only available in the manufacturer and operator domains. In all other domains, any attempts to retrieve this System property will return null.
    That means only signing the midlet by the operator or the manufacturer can "unlock" this property.

The property is indeed available in all domains for Java Runtime 1.0.0 devices. You can find a list of those devices by using the expert search on this page:

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...pecifications/

Go to expert search > API > Java Runtime > must be equal to > Java Runtime 1.0.0 for Series 40

Retrieving the Location Provider should only be used in connection with getting the phone's location by using a GPS receiver, so if you are not planning on doing so, I wouldn't recommend using it.
    The Location API is supported by C3-01, however an external GPS BT receiver should be used in order to take advantage of its functionality.
    Last edited by skalogir; 2011-10-05 at 15:28.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Centrepoint View Post
    Hi

I am using the Nokia SDK 1.0 for Java to develop apps for the Series 40 6th Edition, Feature Pack 1 platform. My test device is the C3-01 (one of the very few FP1 devices already available here in the UK). I presume that this uses the Java Runtime 1.0.0 but I can't find a definitive answer to that.

My problem is that when testing an app that requires the user's (approximate) location, the C3-01 only supplies the Location Provider that requires GPS over Bluetooth. I don't have this and want the 'phone to default to Cell-ID location instead. However, I can't find a way to achieve this either programatically or via the 'phone's own settings.

I have tried using LocationUtil.getLocationProvider to restrict the choice of Location Provider but get 'Invalid Application' every time. If I try to use the 'com.nokia.mid.cellid' system property it always returns 'null'.

I can't believe that the new SDK Location API features aren't actually available on the only 'phone that I can use for testing them.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks.
    It will not work on C3-01, try it on any device from this list - http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devic...vaRuntime1.0.0
    thanks,
    ~Amitabh
    (Champion of the Month -Aug'13)
    Follow me on my blog for Innovative Mobile Apps

Thank you both very much. It's clear that I was mistaken thinking that a 'phone using the latest Series 40 platform would also have the latest Java runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by skalogir View Post
    Retrieving the Location Provider should only be used in connection with getting the phone's location by using a GPS receiver, so if you are not planning on doing so, I wouldn't recommend using it. The Location API is supported by C3-01, however an external GPS BT receiver should be used in order to take advantage of its functionality.
    I'm sorry, skalogir, I don't understand. If the 'phone properly supports the API, why should it be limited to a GPS-based methodology? - I don't recall reading of any such restriction in the descriptions of the Location API on the web.

On the face of it, incorporating Cell-ID positioning should be relatively trivial (assuming the network operator supports it). Would you kindly confirm, if possible, that my app won't therefore work on any current Series 40 'phone without an integral or BT GPS?

Thanks again.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi centerpoint,

Different devices support different location retrieval methods. For your case (Nokia C3-01), getting your current location (i.e. retrieving the location provider) is basically restricted to using a GPS (internal or external) receiver. But that's not the case for all Series 40 phones. As you have probably figured out, the Cell ID Positioning is another option for retrieving a location provider in Series 40 Java 1.0.0 Runtime Devices:

http://library.developer.nokia.com/i...3E63507A5.html

So the short answer, is that a Series 40 application that does not want to rely on a GPS receiver, can actually get the device's location (though with lower accuracy) if it supports the Java 1.0.0 Runtime.

Quote Originally Posted by skalogir View Post
    Hi centerpoint,
    So the short answer, is that a Series 40 application that does not want to rely on a GPS receiver, can actually get the device's location (though with lower accuracy) if it supports the Java 1.0.0 Runtime.
    Understood skalogir. Thanks again for your help.